IA DP 15 vs FI SP4 15???

I've heard of people using just about anything from CA glue to 5 minute epoxy, to goop. I wouldn't get so hung up on which glue you use to do a small repair. Hardly worth 10$ + 10$ shipping to buy 2oz of boutique "woofer building" glue.
Have you tried tuning higher? If your box uses a sono tube port it should take you very little time money or effort to test multiple tunings. 4.25 cube should be adequate for a daily/musical box for a single 15.
even with the power rating of the sp4? because at most i would assume it would only probably see about 1k actual power from my amp (assuming after rise and voltage drop). I know rise can vary from different freq's

Tax time is like month away tops. Money will start flow around here again... My 7k comes back tomorrow
hell ive seen some ppl and they say they have their taxes back but still want to lowball someone offered me like $250 at the most for it, i was like yea the f*ck right

even with the power rating of the sp4? because at most i would assume it would only probably see about 1k actual power from my amp (assuming after rise and voltage drop). I know rise can vary from different freq's
Who knows? Doesn't hurt to try if it only costs you 8$ worth of sono tube. I would expect your box specs to work well enough for most 15's though.

It is likely that the SP4 just isn't seeing enough power. Most of these 4" coil drivers are made to handle power for the sake of handling power and at the point where they may pull away from 3" coil you're already into thermal compression anyway.

you're better off with a 3 inch coil with that power imo but it depends on the driver, id rather a properly designed 4 inch 4 layer coil than my 3 inch 8 layer just because the cooling is better with less layers - dont take this out of the context im referring to

the sp4 is made to take tons of power afaik at 1k rms its just not there. surprised you're not that loud tbh i have a single 15 in 5 cubes and its pretty loud. maybe because you're in a car and im in an ext cab?

you're better off with a 3 inch coil with that power imo but it depends on the driver, id rather a properly designed 4 inch 4 layer coil than my 3 inch 8 layer just because the cooling is better with less layers - dont take this out of the context im referring to
the sp4 is made to take tons of power afaik at 1k rms its just not there. surprised you're not that loud tbh i have a single 15 in 5 cubes and its pretty loud. maybe because you're in a car and im in an ext cab?
i think your extended cab plays some into it. from what ive gathered a extended cab is easier to get loud.

but yea with the sp4 on 1k its just not there. My previous American Bass Hd15 performed way better output wise and even with the box currently have i think for it was alittle large for it but it still performed nicely and didnt meter to bad givin my terrible conditions overall in my system(no deadner, firing forward but not sealed off, voltage, box was alittle big etc lol)

but i do plan to get this death penalty. The reason for my trade was he is a buddy and it was a awesome deal. that i got out of the trade. I got the sub and battery for my HD15 + $285. I think it was good deal because the re sale on the sp4 and i got a XS d3400. Resale on sp4s i seen range from 300 - 400 depending(looked on here and seen those pirces). Then i est the d3400 at like $150 depending. so looking 450 to 550. My Hd15 was the older 1500w model. So i pretty much got both for like 400

truth be told the SP4 is a high excursion high low frequency efficiency woofer. typically they are at home in larger lower tuned boxes and do very nicely in larger cabins output wise.

but you can do an over-damped alignment to offset the efficiency for wider bandwidth and high frequency extension. but you loose a bit of output in the process.

using hte smaller box increases high frequency efficiency and using a very large port will lower the acoustic impedance to maximize the efficiency. just like anything there is diminishing returns.

if you want to be be instantly louder tune higher. if your using 4.25 tune to 40 hz. i know it sounds way to high but trust me it will get down to 30 hz..

If you only have a small amp that sp4 would have shined in 6cubes tuned low like 30hz. Not 4cubes and tuned to 40hz... Ewww
If i could wire to .5 ohm it may be a different story power wise but i have to wire to 1 ohm smh. other then the death penalty, another guy offered me a HDC3-15 plus cash on his end to trade. im not sure how much cash to ask for, he said let him know. i was thinking his plus $150 but idk

truth be told the SP4 is a high excursion high low frequency efficiency woofer. typically they are at home in larger lower tuned boxes and do very nicely in larger cabins output wise.but you can do an over-damped alignment to offset the efficiency for wider bandwidth and high frequency extension. but you loose a bit of output in the process.

using hte smaller box increases high frequency efficiency and using a very large port will lower the acoustic impedance to maximize the efficiency. just like anything there is diminishing returns.

if you want to be be instantly louder tune higher. if your using 4.25 tune to 40 hz. i know it sounds way to high but trust me it will get down to 30 hz..
but when i go to the occasional comp , this sub on 1k even with a box like that, the output is not going to be very good

So is the suspension on the SP4 just that stiff then, that it takes enormous power to be able to use it? For some reason I had that pegged as more of a musical driver that had great potential to absorb abuse, thermally and mechanically.

So is the suspension on the SP4 just that stiff then, that it takes enormous power to be able to use it? For some reason I had that pegged as more of a musical driver that had great potential to absorb abuse, thermally and mechanically.
when i look at the design i get kinda confused.. im pretty sure that its stiff becasue he figured people would be throwing 5kw on um but at the same time im thinking the stiff spiders are also to tame the mass for vented higher tuned alignments.

its kinda all over the place to me.. it wants to be sealed but it might rather be ported with 5 kw..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bgowdy

5,000+ posts
Heroes are remembered, but legends never die
bgowdy
Campbellsville, Ky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date