I would pay someone if they could figure this out...

had a prob like this. i thought the amp wasnt touching the frame of the car. WRONG! it was grounding through the feet of the amp and sending whine through the speakers. pull a ground an see if it gets louder or quieter. sit the amp on a towel...dry of course and see if it still does it. that solved it for me
The amp is screwed into just a carpet covering the spare tire. No metal touching the amp at all, just carpet. And the feet on the amp are plastic, but still. Now if I pull ground on the amp the noise goes away. If I pull power or remote on the amp the noise goes away. It only makes noise if the engine is ON, and the amp is ON. Once the little green light shuts off on the amp the noise goes away, and of course as soon as the car is turned off. BUT it will stay on for a little while once the car is shut off, the amp sort of slowly shuts off(the power light slowly fades away), and the noise slowly fades away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I threw this together, not sure if it will help things.

Etc.jpg

Would it be caused by the fact its getting power from the 2nd battery in the trunk? Maybe somehow its getting dirty power and its transferring to the output stage to the speaker wire outs?

But yea I WILL run speaker wire outside the car and see what happens.

I just cant see how the stock amp is effecting it though, i don't get engine noise from any of the other speakers in the car being ran off the stock amp, weather or not its plugged in to the RCA inputs on the aftermarket amp. Again it made the noise with a freaking IPOD to the inputs.

Is power wire run straight from battery i assume? Try a new ground. As I gather thus far' date=' even bypassing the stock amp, you get whine with engine on?[/quote']
Any way I can ground the amp to something outside the car? Like my big tool box or something lol? Maybe I will try a better chassis ground, but its grounded directly to the battery, which is then grounded to a good chassis ground I imagine. Is it bad to ground the amp directly to the battery?

And yea even bypassing the stock amp all together I get engine noise.

Sorry if I am repeating myself a bunch of times. Just trying to make everything as clear as possible.

I haven't checked the ground on the 2nd battery in the trunk, its a ***** to get to, but I will check it out.

I think I have came to the conclusion of just messing around with the ground some more and run a test line from the amp direct to the door speakers. Its got to be either the stock speaker wiring is picking up engine noise when its getting power through it from the aftermarket amp, or just needs a better ground.

What a nightmare. Never buy a Mercedes, you cant even change the ****ing brake pads without disabling the computer first... Which can only be done by a dealer or buy a bypass module for $100..

I haven't checked the ground on the 2nd battery in the trunk, its a ***** to get to, but I will check it out.
I think I have came to the conclusion of just messing around with the ground some more and run a test line from the amp direct to the door speakers. Its got to be either the stock speaker wiring is picking up engine noise when its getting power through it from the aftermarket amp, or just needs a better ground.

What a nightmare. Never buy a Mercedes, you cant even change the ****ing brake pads without disabling the computer first... Which can only be done by a dealer or buy a bypass module for $100..
Something about grass and green.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Well I tried grounding the amp to about 3 different places in the trunk, also I grounded the amp to the same spot the factory amp grounds too. I hooked up a book shelf speaker to the amp with less than 2 feet of cable and it was still producing the noise. I did this with 2 different amps.

I have deemed this problem unfixable, and something is just plain retarted with the Mercedes chassis. I tried posting this on the Mercedes forums and got little to no feedback.

I have talked to many other friends who have been installing for years and years, and every remedy I tried just falls flat on its face. Nothing works. Everyone is just flabergasted at the whole situation. I have given up and put it all back to the factory amp. Then cut myself.

Thanks to everyone who posted suggestions.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.