How far does your power wire need to be from your head unit?

joshme17
10+ year member

Oklahoma
I'm trying to route a power cable for my amp in my trunk to my battery in my 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.

I want to avoid having to drill a hole in the firewall but I can if needed.

I found a place towards the center of the car where some cables and electrical wires a ran that I think I could get the power wire through. But the wire would run pretty close to where the head unit would be.

How far does the power wire need to be from all this? Will it cause problems if its about 6 inches from the head?

Please don't say this is a stupid question, this my first install and I don't want to mess anything up.

Im telling you, drilling a hole is easiest and most convenient, just place a rubber grommet in the hole, and itll be like it was factory.
Easier than using an existing hole? lulz

OP, no one can say for sure if it will have any ill effects, I would have to say no, it will be fine but the only way to be 100% sure is to try it and see.

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. If I get noise, I'll probably just go ahead and drill through the firewall.

Easier than using an existing hole? lulz
OP, no one can say for sure if it will have any ill effects, I would have to say no, it will be fine but the only way to be 100% sure is to try it and see.
Lol, well on my car, it was easier. I just think it nice to drill your own hole, and that way when you upgrade, you can switch out bigger wires to it.

Lol, well on my car, it was easier. I just think it nice to drill your own hole, and that way when you upgrade, you can switch out bigger wires to it.
Your telling me you can't fit 0g through the stock grommet now? Your car must **** then, dipshit.

No matter what the car, using an existing hole > drilling a new one

Your telling me you can't fit 0g through the stock grommet now? Your car must **** then, dipshit.
lol, this

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.