I think my local audio shop screwed up, pics included

your box seems kind of little and you payed what? $70? What do you expect? 4 awg also seems a little small to me.
that looks about 10x better then my shop does. At my shop most dual 12inch boxes they have in stock have like 2 inch port openings and a tiny. They also just put the amps and box where ever it fits without caring how clean it looks. its sad.

if your that scared about them messing stuff up you should just do it all your self so you know where to look for problems

When its your friends brothers shop who is doing it for 50% off, they are gonna do whatever the hell it takes it get your car in and out of there so that they can get back to installing for people who are paying 100%.

that looks about 10x better then my shop does. At my shop most dual 12inch boxes they have in stock have like 2 inch port openings and a tiny. They also just put the amps and box where ever it fits without caring how clean it looks. its sad.

if your that scared about them messing stuff up you should just do it all your self so you know where to look for problems
Well the box itself was not $70. That is how much i payed for the install. The shop charges $75 and hour for labor. The total install took them 2 hours, mind you they had to install everything, wire the subs, mount them run all the power/signal wire, and install my head unit. The owner only charged me $70 for the total thing since i am friends with his brother.

As for the box, i bought it from this guy: http://www.eastcoastenclosures.homestead.com/index.html

They make awesome boxes built to specs for your subs, he charged me $175 shipped for the custom built box, and it is really strongly built, Recommend him to anyone who does not want to build there own box.

That wiring doesn't look that bad. It looks a whole lot better than some of the installs I've seen that cost much more than $70.

The RCA's, and power wire isn't a bad thing. That's more than often an excuse. If you have a good ground with very low resistance, the majority of any system noise issues is gone.

You'll have to actually give us or show better pics of the sub/amp wiring.

That enclosure is to small for your subs. Each type R would be best in 2 1/2 cubes after displacement. You would gain alot of output changing that for sure.

That wiring doesn't look that bad. It looks a whole lot better than some of the installs I've seen that cost much more than $70.

The RCA's, and power wire isn't a bad thing. That's more than often an excuse. If you have a good ground with very low resistance, the majority of any system noise issues is gone.

You'll have to actually give us or show better pics of the sub/amp wiring.
Ok so the rca's and the power wire being on the same side is not a huge problem. But if i do re-wire my system do you guys recommend placing the two wires on opposite sides of the car?

As for sub/amp wiring all i know they used 14 ft of knu 4 gauge to the amp with a knu 120a fues near the battery, re wired the battery ground using 4 gauge, then ground the amp using a nut or something metal in my trunk and scrapped the paint off of the bolt. As for speaker wire i just realized they never used my 12 gauge wire that came with my knu install kit! And they never gave me my other fuse that came with my cadence amp! and i have no idea where the other 6 ft of power wire went! WTF! I am going to be giving this shop a call shortly.

The wiring doesn't look bad ? electrical tape for wire loom ? Loose wires and fuse holder in the engine bay ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif They must have been hella precise when they removed the paint from that grounding spot as well . There isn't a scratch anywhere in the paint around it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i have my rca cables and power wire zip tied together and have never had alt whine.

so dont trip

all i can tell from the pictures is who ever installed the wiring didnt sand the matal for the ground on the battery and amp. i would remove those grounds (after diconting the battery) and sand the piss out the metal until its super shinny. that might make a huge difference. also those type rs should get loud. and even louder in a bigger box. 2 gauge wire would be best, 4 gauge in the min recommended. hope this helps

i have my rca cables and power wire zip tied together and have never had alt whine.so dont trip

all i can tell from the pictures is who ever installed the wiring didnt sand the matal for the ground on the battery and amp. i would remove those grounds (after diconting the battery) and sand the piss out the metal until its super shinny. that might make a huge difference. also those type rs should get loud. and even louder in a bigger box. 2 gauge wire would be best, 4 gauge in the min recommended. hope this helps
Thanks for the help, plan on buying a bigger box 5 cu. ft, and will install my 1/0 gauge wire once that comes in using wire looms and will make sure the grounded amp is on metal.

Good ground FTW. You wouldn't realize the difference paint makes until you remove it.

I have a total of 6 runs of speaker wire (left/right midbass, midrange, tweeter) running up my car along with power wire, optical cable, and ai-net cable. I had a bit of noise until I did my last install, during which I took a metal brush and scrubbed down my grounding point. I have all those wires right next to each other in the trunk area and not a single bit of system noise; none- at all.

IMO, you don't really have to go with 0 gauge wire. First off, it's likely not to make a difference because you have a stock alternator. What's that capable of?

There's a lot of 'common sense' issues people ignore during a stereo install. One being that if your alternator is only capable of so many amps to begin with, larger wire isn't going to give it extra power.

I'm not saying 0 gauge is pointless; don't get me wrong...but you need to put things in perspective. I believe your money could be better spent on a more capable battery, if not an alternator. (assuming your alternator is small)

Thanks for the help, plan on buying a bigger box 5 cu. ft, and will install my 1/0 gauge wire once that comes in using wire looms and will make sure the grounded amp is on metal.
glad i could help. a good ground can make a world of difference. you wouldnt beleave how people come to me thinking there amps ****ed up or something else and it ends up being whoever installed there system didnt make sure the ground was good.

IMO, you don't really have to go with 0 gauge wire. First off, it's likely not to make a difference because you have a stock alternator. What's that capable of?
There's a lot of 'common sense' issues people ignore during a stereo install. One being that if your alternator is only capable of so many amps to begin with, larger wire isn't going to give it extra power.

I'm not saying 0 gauge is pointless; don't get me wrong...but you need to put things in perspective. I believe your money could be better spent on a more capable battery, if not an alternator. (assuming your alternator is small)
Well my stock alt is ok for stock at 110amps, but what i was going to do next month is buy another amp and comps. Then use 1/0 gauge to the trunk distro block that to two 4 gauge wires to power both amps. I was also going to buy a yellow top optima battery but am confused as to which model i should get. So if anyone can help me on that, that would be great. But i guess i will have to hold off on the rims, and window tint for now lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.