I replaced my Kicker L7 Kicker 12'' for this...did I make the right choice?

hm, not sure I understand what subsonic is.... can you explain a little further? and good tip , I will keep it at 35. I tuned with a friend and he was impressed by the process. To be honest so was I. Feels good when you things are done correctly, thanks to you guys.
alright a better way to explain this is...

On your amp the subsonic filter is for frequency 5-30hz. If you have it set to 15hz which you do now, if the hz being played is 15 or below it will drop the voltage going to the subwoofer GREATLY if not completely at and below that frequency, the dB drop depends per amp. It is so you don't have over excursion or bad muddiness. I would put your subsonic filter on the first white line past the 15hz mark. If not a little past that around 22hz or in there you will get better sound quality in difference types of music with wide bass ranges.

btw, it won't hurt to go to 36 on the volume control if you want a little more highs. If your highs are piercing, retune the amp while having your subwoofer level up a few levels on Head Unit.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright a better way to explain this is...
On your amp the subsonic filter is for frequency 5-30hz. If you have it set to 15hz which you do now, if the hz being played is 15 or below it will drop the voltage going to the subwoofer GREATLY if not completely at and below that frequency, the dB drop depends per amp. It is so you don't have over excursion or bad muddiness. I would put your subsonic filter on the first white line past the 15hz mark. If not a little past that around 22hz or in there you will get better sound quality in difference types of music with wide bass ranges.

btw, it won't hurt to go to 36 on the volume control if you want a little more highs. If your highs are piercing, retune the amp while having your subwoofer level up a few levels on Head Unit.
Excellent, thank you for the tips I plan on doing this later today. What about the amp for my mids and highs? Does this amp also get tuned?

Excellent, thank you for the tips I plan on doing this later today. What about the amp for my mids and highs? Does this amp also get tuned?
Yes, I had no idea your highs were externally amped I figured you were running through the head unit amp. You can do the same thing with that amp. Here is the equation to find the voltage needed per channel. Watts x Ohms then find the square root of that number.

Never turn the gain past 3/4 on an amp while tuning. If you do need more voltage but have it at 3/4 just go turn your headunit gain up.

Info needed: What amp & speakers

Yes, I had no idea your highs were externally amped I figured you were running through the head unit amp. You can do the same thing with that amp. Here is the equation to find the voltage needed per channel. Watts x Ohms then find the square root of that number. Never turn the gain past 3/4 on an amp while tuning. If you do need more voltage but have it at 3/4 just go turn your headunit gain up.

Info needed: What amp & speakers
The amp is a 4 channel 600 watt amp. Im guessing this is about 75 watts rms per channel? What do you think?

I'm not familiar with that brand amp, but I do know the rated output is 4x65WRMS @ 4-Ohms as stated so (doesn't mean it is going to do that rated), but i'm sure it will do that efficiently.

What you need to look for is getting 13-14v on each channel on your speaker outs. Those speakers are rating at 3-ohms and for all I know that amp could be 4 ohm rated. I'm just not very sure. If you want to be safe I would run each speaker around 12v. Coax speakers are harder to destroy then subs when it comes to that low voltage, but i'm looking at efficiency and life ability of your amp.

Just reading through and noticed you turned the "bass dial" to 50% on the amp. Turn that back down. Never use the bass boost as it leads to clipping. And the ones saying you can't tune by ear. Ha. A well trained ear can hear clipping, especially with a sub.

Sure the jlw6 is a decent sq sub, but there are better sq for the price and it seems op is more concerned about spl than sq. $520 could have been spent on a much better setup for his goals. Hell, the sa8 or sa10 in a proper box will have so much more output than the jl

Just reading through and noticed you turned the "bass dial" to 50% on the amp. Turn that back down. Never use the bass boost as it leads to clipping. And the ones saying you can't tune by ear. Ha. A well trained ear can hear clipping, especially with a sub.
Sure the jlw6 is a decent sq sub, but there are better sq for the price and it seems op is more concerned about spl than sq. $520 could have been spent on a much better setup for his goals. Hell, the sa8 or sa10 in a proper box will have so much more output than the jl
What would you consider a better SQ sub for that price range? W6s seem to win SQ all the time.

So turn down the bass on amp and on the head unit I have it set to 3. What about Bass knob? Should I use my bass knob? Should I go ahead and set my eq high?

Bass knob is fine if you use it right IF it controls gain not boost. Set the gain with the knob at max, that way you can always turn it down. EQ at zero. Both are tools to get balance not crank to hell.

So once again I have a loud , crystal clear sound with lots of clear mids and highs and nice bass but still dont get the bass I am looking for. For one I think a 10'' wont give me what I want. I am going back to the store tomorrow and looking into a 15''. I dont think JL makes a 15'' so may have to settle for something else. Teh guy who runs the shop has the same w6 in teh same box so I wanna hear his and if I can not justify a reason as to why settle I will most likely buy bigger. What do you guys think?

So once again I have a loud , crystal clear sound with lots of clear mids and highs and nice bass but still dont get the bass I am looking for. For one I think a 10'' wont give me what I want. I am going back to the store tomorrow and looking into a 15''. I dont think JL makes a 15'' so may have to settle for something else. Teh guy who runs the shop has the same w6 in teh same box so I wanna hear his and if I can not justify a reason as to why settle I will most likely buy bigger. What do you guys think?
just get a sundown SA 12 or an american bass xfl 12 or a soundqubed hds312, All will absolutely destroy your current JL setup on your same amp. Have a member on this site build you a nice quality custom box for 150 shipped and I guarantee it'll by louder then your kicker and JL combined and sound damn good doing it. Stop buying from the shop thats trying to rip you a new one from behind. There's a whole world of bass output that most conventional stores can never hope to achieve. They probably fed you the bullshit that JL is the top of the line subwoofer brand out there and got you to buy that overpriced 10 in the first place.

As said before, if you've setup everything correctly and still not happy, sell that woofer on craigslist and use that money to buy actual big boy subs. Not some sub for old audiophiles that dont like it too loud. Its a decent sub but hell if its enough to satisfy a growing bass addict.

you should take a picture of how your sub is sitting in your car, moving it around actually drastically changes how the sub performs. Also try to get rid of your amp's little remote bass knob completely, some of the times those cause more problems then its worth. you never wanna go past 70-75% gain.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.