I replaced my Kicker L7 Kicker 12'' for this...did I make the right choice?

how do you recommend I tune?
Items Needed: DMM http://www.amazon.com/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-Manual-Multimeter/dp/B0050LVFS0/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1405390473&sr=1-1&keywords=DMM

use that as your test tone.2. Turn you HPF (High Pass Filter) on 100 or w.e. on your head unit lowest is.

3. Take speaker wires out of terminals on subwoofer amp

4. Turn all your amp settings all the way down, but turn your LPF all the way up (when done put LPF ~80)

5. Turn you head unit volume to the max level YOU LISTEN TO

6. Put your DMM on A/C and on the positive and neg of speaker outs on the amp

7. Play the test tone and slowly turn the gain up until you get a stable 34-35 volts

8. Stop test tone, turn LPF back down to ~80 and hook up the sub

9. You will now be running 600 watts RMS at 2-ohms out of the subwoofer.

This is the poor man's way of tuning an amp.

Just had it tuned and he didn't use a dmm or anything he tuned by ear. It's as clean and clear as could be but very little bass. Not the bass I am used to I should say. I've always had kickers so am used to thunderous bass. I'm gonna make a couple of adjustments of my own and get a little more bass. I'm not sure if I can't transfer over from spl to sq easily. I'm older so maybe it's time I make the switch but I kinda miss the deep deep bass! I think Im gonna lower my mids and hi gains a tad and raise my woofer a tad. That should put me were I need to be.
That box should be pretty loud. It's ported. I was looking into the 10 inch one, crutchfield has them on sale. But I would figure that would have a decent amount of output.

w.e. = what ever
lpf = Low Pass Filter on the amp itself; you might have a switch on the amp that says LPF/FULL/HPF be sure it is on LPF also.
ok, what about the head unit? lower all settings in the settings? bands on eq too?

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

That box should be pretty loud. It's ported. I was looking into the 10 inch one, crutchfield has them on sale. But I would figure that would have a decent amount of output.
I think it should too. Im starting to wonder if my ground is weak. I used a bolt that holds down the seat.... felt like a good choice but now wondering if it is limiting the power.

ok, what about the head unit? lower all settings in the settings? bands on eq too? 

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 PM ----------

I think it should too. Im starting to wonder if my ground is weak. I used a bolt that holds down the seat.... felt like a good choice but now wondering if it is limiting the power.
Yes make sure everything is on 0 on the headunit as neutral as it can get. Adjust those to your preference after you tune your amp.

also, you will be able to tell by setting it with a DMM if your connection is bad. Just swap it over to DC when you are playing music and see how low your vDrops are. (put in the +12 and ground on the amp this time).

ok thanks, it ***** that its so late an dark out so I will have to wait till tomorrow but thanks alot and I will keep you posted.

I only see one problem with your choice and thats power. If you want output the w6v3 is capable of delivering what you need and maintain SQ

Set your gains properly and if possible upgrade your amplifier.

Never thought i'd see people hate on JL even more than kicker.

smh haha

I only see one problem with your choice and thats power. If you want output the w6v3 is capable of delivering what you need and maintain SQSet your gains properly and if possible upgrade your amplifier.

Never thought i'd see people hate on JL even more than kicker.

smh haha
This amp is pretty powerful though. It is 1000 RMS and rocked the heck out of a L7. I increased the gain this morning and drove to work and it seemed a little better. Im only about 66% on the gain so have more room to move. I am planning to tune to Kyles instructions. Cant wait to get home to mess with it.

This amp is pretty powerful though. It is 1000 RMS and rocked the heck out of a L7. I increased the gain this morning and drove to work and it seemed a little better. Im only about 66% on the gain so have more room to move. I am planning to tune to Kyles instructions. Cant wait to get home to mess with it.
What head unit do you have and whats your normal listening volume(## out of ##?)? That will give us a rough idea where your gain should be.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.