i need some good enclosures, but cheap!!!

samman258
10+ year member

i posted about a month ago with finding some old mtx road thunder subs from the early 90's. i put them in my car and everything and they bang. but i have the legit shittiest boxes on earth. the boxes i have are home 10" tv stereo boxes and its kinda embarrasing to use them when my friends are in the car. they have holes in the boxes and you can hear the forced air going through the holes better than the bass. so anybody wanna see if they can hook me up wit something thatll sound good? i need a dual box maybe slot ported or with the tubes in it.

You can get a prefab sealed enclosure on Ebay for ~50 bucks. Not great, but better than what you have now. Just be sure to run some caulk or other sealent around the inside to make sure its sealed well.

You can build one yourself using supplies from Home Depot/Lowes. People on here will give you a free design is you ask nice, heck I can do it if you want. That would be the cheapest way. You'll need a sheet of 3/4" MDF($25-$30), some Titebond wood glue($3-$5), and some wood screws($5-$10). Tools you'd need: Saw (table saw or circular saw), a screw gun, and a drill bit for pilot holes.

i saw some stuff on ebay but it comes as a flat piece and you just have to fold the sides in place, but i thought, wow! that looks like a ginormous piece of ****. and i consider like around 50-60$ cheap

The old school MTX RT subs do just fine in a sealed and enclosure. They are not a decent or great sub. They were sub par at best. Just pick up a cheap box from craigslist and be done for now(no ported just sealed). If you want a better setup then purchase one item at a time and get it all installed at once when you have it all.

Dude, the mtx's are fine for what im doing. I dont want to be the loudest car in the parking lot, i want it to sound good. Ive heard the exact opposite of what your saying too. No offense to you. They sound good to me... But then again i havent heard anything else but these haha so the subs arent my problem. I do have 4 of them so i can make it as loud as i want. But yeah i think im going to try to build my own... do you have any preffered dimensions HardKnox?

How much room do you have? would this enclosure fit 14.5"h x 36"w x 16"d with port 13"h x 2.75"w x 20"d.........That would net you just under 3 cubes for the pair of subs with about a 35hz tune....subs and port on same plane

Dude, the mtx's are fine for what im doing. I dont want to be the loudest car in the parking lot, i want it to sound good. Ive heard the exact opposite of what your saying too. No offense to you. They sound good to me... But then again i havent heard anything else but these haha so the subs arent my problem. I do have 4 of them so i can make it as loud as i want. But yeah i think im going to try to build my own... do you have any preffered dimensions HardKnox?
I was not suggesting that you need/want more. I was meaning if you have your hopes set high you may not be pleased and that gettign a custom built enclosure for those subs is not what I would suggest. If you pick up a sealed enclosure for them from a local, you will get it cheap and you will just fine with the sound/output. If you want more then that pick up different product.

The older MTX RT from back in the day were great sealed and the newer ones are as well. If you go ported you will just be paying more for the enclosure then what you really need to.

Bottom line is you want to stay cheap and yet upgrade from what you have. Pick up a cheap sealed enclosure and you will have that. Anything else is a bit of a waste of funds.

not another one of these. just do it right the first time, and dont cut corners. in the end you'll be redoing it because of 2 reason; 1. you went the cheap route and werent happy, or 2. you did it right and now want to go bigger.
This always happens though..it still happens to me after 15 or so years now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.