I need help wiring amp fans?

Bass911
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Dallas,TX
I've decided not to go with the Crossflow fan that has the remote wire already on it. How would I wire some cheap Radio Shack fans to only come on with the radio's remote turn on? I also want to know who makes the most quiet fans? I think I can get more fan for my money going with Radio Shack?

some computer fans are quiet as hell man, it would be pretty easy just to pull one out of an old computer, then again easy to go buy a cheap one. i dont see it generating too much noise over the music anyways lol

So I just run the red wire off the fans to the blue remote wire and ground the black? I'm not using the battery's positive at all, RIGHT? What about 2 different sets of LED's on their own separate on/off switch on the same battery? How would I wire that?

Even though computer fans don't use much power, its never a good idea to use your remote to power ANYTHING.

You can use the remote to power an automotive relay. Here is an example for wiring extra lights:

relaydiagram.gif

In the diagram, the green wire would be your remote wire, the +12vdc can come from your amp, the ground can come from your amp, and the red wire would power the fans.

Even though computer fans don't use much power, its never a good idea to use your remote to power ANYTHING.
You can use the remote to power an automotive relay. Here is an example for wiring extra lights:

relay-diagram.gif

In the diagram, the green wire would be your remote wire, the +12vdc can come from your amp, the ground can come from your amp, and the red wire would power the fans.
Although I can't see Smoka's pic for whatever reason, he's absolutely correct. The remote is only designed to operate a relay, not actually power anything. I assume it'll power two realys (never tried it). You could take the safer route and power only one relay (which feeds another). Relays are cheap (relatively speaking).

Are you saying I can run 2 sets of lights and 8 small fans off of one relay? Do I need 2 different relays for 2 on/off switches? I just want the fans to come on with the system, but I think I have the fan part figured out. I'm saying when I turn that switch off, will the fans still be on with the system?

Also the amount off stuff you can run off the relay depends on what the relay is rated. The relay is called an 'automotive relay' and is pretty common you should not have a hard time finding one. The relay will have the max current stamped on it, I think most are around 10amps which will power many pc fans.

Here are some better pics. This one is if you want the fans to turn on and off with the amp.

relaydiagram2.gif

This is if you want to use your own switch:

relaydiagram3.gif

I'm running some led's right now on a switch without a relay. I understand using a relay for the fans, but do I really need one for the led bars/strips? I think the way I hooked my led's up is, all the black to the -batt post and the red from the +batt post to one side of the switch and the red from all the led's hooked together to the other side of the switch. I know they make different switches. Does the one in the diagram have 3 connections or 2 on the back? Thanks for the diagrams!

the ground lead on the switch, ie. the 3rd connector, is there to provide a ground for the LED inside the switch indicating on/off position of the switch...

it'll work fine with a switch with two leads as well, ie. a switch without an LED indicator...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.