I need help / advice finishing my system!

Question Everything....engineering motto often times.

Anyways, I'll listen to what pretty much anyone has to say for at least a bit. I'm glad you picked up on this thread because from what I've seen so far you understand what is going on acoustically...and in most threads I have read your lucky to get one or two posts from someone who actually knows their ****. Still, just like the other dude said. Hell, a lot of the time I don't even know what to ask. I'm sure that won't be the case forever.

I definitely see this being a lifelong hobby. Not car audio but I could see myself turning into an experienced audiophile before 50. (more than 25 years to go!) I don't see it becoming anything more than a hobby though.

Also, to your earlier question that I forgot to answer. I don't know ANYONE who has really been into car audio so I haven't heard a single other system except mine. Its tragic really. Unless you count someone with like a walmart sub or something. I have zero expectations. Itd be cool if **** on the dash rattled around a bit, or if I could do the hair trick. If it gets even a bit louder than I can comfortably sit and listen to for a few minutes then I'll be very happy.

OK then. Put your answer after each question mark.

Year/make/model of vehicle?

Maximum external enclosure dimensions?

Location of those dimensions in cargo area? (I remember that you need the sub firing up for physical damage purposes)

Distance from top of rear seat to driver's head rest?

Make/model/quantity of subwoofer(s)?

Make/model of amplifier?

Type(s) of music listened to?

That is the majority of information needed to get a case number started. If you don't have a real expectation to match, I highly recommend that you don't blow $2g. Do a very efficient system made to get stupid with 1000w or less, since that power range is very inexpensive for both subwoofers AND amplifier. The difference between 130 and 133dB is double the power or more.....and power is the most expensive thing to purchase and support. The first 90dB or so happen with one watt...every additional dB comes with an exponential cost.

Year/make/model of vehicle? 2002 Ford Explorer

Maximum external enclosure dimensions? 24x36x18

Location of those dimensions in cargo area? (I remember that you need the sub firing up for physical damage purposes) Passenger side pushed against rear seat.

Distance from top of rear seat to driver's head rest? 36 inches

Make/model/quantity of subwoofer(s)? A single LMS Ultra 5400 18" woofer.

Make/model of amplifier? I do already have a Diamond Audio 1000.1 that is stable at 1ohm.

Type(s) of music listened to? Mostly electronic dance music. bassnectar, skrillex, flux pavilion sort of stuff. Secondly a lot of progressive style rock. Tool, APC, Esoterica. Also, some NIN, Manson, Zombie, **** like that.

I'm not the biggest fan of my Diamond Audio monoblock but I can definitely just start with that for now and if i really want to later upgrade to a more powerful amp and possibly alternator. Even at idle my car did fine for 3-4 hours BLASTING the stereo.

When I came across PWK after being introduced by a mutual friend, I quickly recognized how firm of a grasp.....no.....rear-naked-choke he had on the physics/ science behind acoustic design.
It's funny you say that, because that's exactly who I thought you were. When I talked to him today in email about a design request, I just flat out asked him if he was you. His response in a later email was:

"PS. I don't know what "FtheNutHuggers" is so I'm guessing I'm not it."

LOL

@BlackFx4inTN: Nope; two separate people, two separate lives, many distinct preferences for hobbies.

@CamJ256: I'm sure you'll be stoked with the performance of the 5400LMS 18" if he says there is plenty of room with your specified dimensions. I hope you made it clear that your maximum depth was touching the rear hatch and that you had to have the sub firing up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.