I need help / advice finishing my system!

CamJ256
10+ year member

Alright guys, this is my first post here. I have spent a TON of time reading through these forums over the last few weeks so please don't hassle me about using the search.

I have a 2002 ford explorer v6. My current system consists of a Kenwood ddx418 head unit. Diamond audio Hex 600 components in all four doors. The tweets aren't installed in the rear. (looking back there was probably a better buy for the rear doors). They are being powered by a Diamond Audio Hex 750.4 amp. I personally love this combo!

2 gauge wiring to the rear of my car where the third row seat would be. I managed to get all the crossovers in there with a 30 farad cap (a POS i'm going to replace soon) and my dist block. When I was running about 1800 watts I was maintaining between 13-14 volts. I installed everything myself and went out of my way to keep it clean. Oh, and the doors have been dynamatted.

I have had two diamond audio subs (their shallow mount 10, and their HP12). The shallow 10 was pretty good actually but the HP12 ****** terribly in my opinion. I also have their 400 watt monoblock and their 1000 watt block. (both of those get extremely hot) My hex 750.4 barely gets warm and I run it real hard. The shallow mount 10 melted a wire at the terminal and the HP12 blew a voicecoil the first week. and yes I had the gain turned down. I am NOT a fan of diamond audio subwoofers.

I'm pretty new to all of this but I'm finding myself really getting into it. It seems there are absolutely endless combinations of speakers / amps / subs / enclosures so I'll do my best to explain what I'm looking for and hopefully I can get some suggestions to follow.

So then... I have 2000 to spend on a sub / amp / box. I am going to run 1/0 gauge and possibly add another battery in back if I need it. I already have a yellowtop up front. And I could even do a 200A alt if I need that too. I will determine that after I see how the system performs once installed.

I am looking for a SQ setup that can get LOUD. My searches for that led me to find the RE XXX 15" sub. I have been pretty set on that but I have heard mixed reviews. People on here saying the new ones ****, other people calling those people idiots. People swearing they should be ported, others saying a large sealed enclosure is absolutely best. I just don't know what to think...

I'm not looking to break any SPL records but I'd like it to impressively loud at least. Blow the thongs of them '*******' if you know what I mean. For that matter though, in my mind, if it doesn't sound good to begin with then why would I want it to be loud?

As for the amp I am looking for a good match for the sub. I don't want to overpower the sub though and blow it. The other big thing is I want it to be able to maintain a high output for a couple hours without overheating and going into protect mode.

And I guess there is no point in deciding if I want ported or sealed at this point....in most cases that should be determined by the subwoofer itself right?

I THINK thats it for now.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

OH! And I listen to mostly electronic dance music and progressive rock.

dc xl 15 with a dc 2.0 would be a great match.just did this in a boat for a friend,he called me that following mon after going to the lake, and told me he was kicked off the lake because his stereo was too loud and people were complaining about the music

thanks guys. On the RE XXX 18" what does the fully loaded btl parts mean?
It uses a RE XXX motor and basket but has been reconed using FI BTL soft parts.

Ok finally I got done with your short novel. LOL. I am just BSing with u its better to give as much info as possible. As, stated above 2K is a good budget and can go a long ways.

Sub - TC Sounds LMS Ultra 5400 18" DVC Subwoofer - SPL/SQ all in one package. Just animals but are very musical. This thing would destroy a XXX (of any year) in SQ and SPL. I mean it would just walk all over the XXX.

Amp - Crescendo Audio BC2000 rated to do 2150@1ohm rms at 13.8volts. Expect a good 2300+ @1ohm. Cost $329 shipped BNIB from the manf.

Link to manf - Crescendo Audio :: Amplifers (They have not updated the site you will have to call them to order the amp) There number is 941-257-4767 great company, quality stuff, cool guys.. Here is a inside shot of one - http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae4/CrescendoAudio/BC2000DPCB.jpg and here is what the heatsink looks like ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting (that is a 3500 but they use the same HS just a longer one)

Now that leaves you with $800 for batts, wire, custom box, etc. It would be a killer setup thats for sure that 5400 is almost everyones dream sub.

Sweeeet. Thanks for the responses. That 5400 looks awesome! Goodbye trunkspace.

What kind of box would I want for the 5400? How many cubes? Am I right to guess sealed would work best with this sub?

Last edited by a moderator:
Backwards. Volume and specifically maximum sparable dimensions are the only way to start correctly. We already know year, make and model, but nobody knows what you are willing or can spare for maximum enclosure dimensions. In other words, you've asked for a picture of a hot chick and you've received what your peers deem to be hot. You didn't say that you have a preference for brunettes (your maximum allowable height), that you can't stand them to be over 115 pounds (your maximum width) and that they can't be from Bangkok...lol....(your maximum depth). So realistically, anyone who answered with "the best sub for the job" doesn't even know what they have to know first to answer the damned question with any logical response.

You obviously don't need anything to play extremely low, so your choices automatically double or triple. (Based on your choice of music). Extension below 35Hz is extremely rare with either of your two preferred genres.

@Camj256: As a matter of fact, watch this video: Car Audio Project Update 5 - YouTube .....this will definitely point you in the direction opposite of a sealed enclosure, unless your maximum sparable dimensions just won't allow for anything that manipulates the rear wave.

Also, I recommend that you do some research......if you are looking in the right places, you'll find that a sealed application is the least efficient alignment you could pick. It takes more power to get the same output than basically any other alignment. That doesn't mean that your "other choice" is ported or bass reflex. There are many different alignments, ONE of which would be perfect for your dimensions, subwoofer choice and target bandwidth/ performance preference.

Alright, I guess I should have specified that. The entire cargo area may be used if needed.

I just measured it at 36" by 44". I'd probably take an inch of each of those so a box fits better. Then I would like to keep it under 20" tall.

Obviously thats WAY more room then I need or will use. If possible I'd like to just use half the trunk.

edit: I also want the sub to fire up...not sure if that matters at all or not.

@Camj256: As a matter of fact, watch this video: Car Audio Project Update 5 - YouTube .....this will definitely point you in the direction opposite of a sealed enclosure, unless your maximum sparable dimensions just won't allow for anything that manipulates the rear wave.
Also, I recommend that you do some research......if you are looking in the right places, you'll find that a sealed application is the least efficient alignment you could pick. It takes more power to get the same output than basically any other alignment. That doesn't mean that your "other choice" is ported or bass reflex. There are many different alignments, ONE of which would be perfect for your dimensions, subwoofer choice and target bandwidth/ performance preference.
subtle

The 5400 is a very capable motor if paired to the right frame/piston for a specific application. You said you have certain dims, but you say you want to use only half. To help, any engineer needs to know which one.........they need exact maximum dimensions. Anything left on the table by you leaves THEM to blame when you don't get what you want.

Going to lunch, will read replies in about an hour or so.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.