I need advice with my LOC install!

Participant count
  • Participant list

PaulC
10+ year member

I have a 2008 civic si that I installed an amp and 1 12" in about a year and a half ago. I kept the factory radio so I installed a cheap LOC with a remote turn on in the rear deck where the factory sub used to be. I have a power acoustik ps2-800 mounted under the rear deck. The first sub I installed was a Jl w3v2(which is the older dvc version) that I had for years. The sub sounded good but after a few months the tinsile leaves started to break on the positive leads at the terminal. I soldered them back a few times but it continued to happen so I gave up on that sub and bought a brand new JL w0-v2. Just over 3 months with that new sub it did the same thing. I got that sub warrantied and while discussing the problem with the dealer we got on the subject of my LOC. I told him that i had the gain on the LOC spiked all the way up. He suggested that i set it to 2/3 because i was probably getting distortion at the sub even though it didnt sound like it. I did so and istalled the new sub. It has been 9 months or so with no problems until yesterday. I tried to listen to it on the way to work and it wouldnt turn on. After playing with it, it started to work but sounds like it could be on its way out. I pulled the sub out of the box and it looks like the positive tinsile leaves have something going on again. Its not broken but they have plastic sheathing on them and the sheathing is broken through at both ends which is not like that on the negative side. Someone please give me ideas of what could be going on. I just picked up 2 w3v3's that i want to install but i dont want to keep dealing with this. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

the gain on the amp is set to about 1/3 or slightly higher and no i just did it by listening to the sub closely like i always have. what is clipping? and if you are talking about setting the gains with a multimeter please explain to me how. thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.