I need a head unit for my 2008 Corolla Sport

Participant count
  • Participant list

carsRcool415
10+ year member

thats all I know.
CA
And....I have no idea to begin. So as some may have learned with my previous threads, I am pretty clueless about car audio. Well... if any of you have seen a 2008 Corolla Sport standard head unit, its a little bulky (well at least according to my tastes). Plus, I've been admiring the head units with the ability to play an ipod.

As far as I know, I haven't found any options for playing an ipod on the factory corolla head unit. Would getting a whole new head unit be the best option? I'm kinda on a low budget so I was thinking something like the Sony CDX-GT620IP and getting it at Circuit City because I would get free installation. Does anyone have any better ideas? Also, I'm pretty paranoid that they will mess up the deck of my car because it's new, so is there a good probablity that they could mess up the inside of my car? Any opinions on how it may look?

Thanks!

This feature alone makes it worth it if you like playing the IPOD

Advanced Sound Retriever

Hear the detail, warmth and clarity, the way the artist intended it, from all of your highly compressed MP3, WMA and AAC files stored on USB memory device, iPod and portable digital players. By restoring data (especially higher frequencies) that tend to get lost in the digital compression process, Pioneer’s Advanced Sound Retriever technology enhances audio reproduction nearly all the way up to 20 kHz frequencies.

When Advanced Sound Retriever is “ON”, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve of the original sound.

Oh wow, so does it come with the cable connection for the ipod as well because I know most connections can cost between 30-50 dollars. (I would really just like the cable included, so as to not spend so much money!)

that I'm not sure of.....You might can use the IPOD supplied USB cable by the sounds of the description...on most decks they are optional...I just think you'll get your best sound with that deck ...and it looks nice also...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think so too, the ratings on this deck seem to be a lot higher than the sony. I guess the differences in sound quality is worth working a few more hours. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

one more thing.... because I have no experience with cars... is it true that no one prefers a factory stereo to a new head unit? And just in case...will I be able to reapply the old corolla stereo just in case I look back? Is that even likely? Ohhh....soooo full of questions...sorry.

this statement makes me think it will work with the IPOD cable supplied with the IPOD

Pioneer's DEH-P5000UB is ready to roll with capability for direct connection to your iPod®. USB 2.0's speed and capability allow an elevated iPod® experience in the car, and nearly limitless expandability for portable media players and USB memory devices.

Oh wow, so does it come with the cable connection for the ipod as well because I know most connections can cost between 30-50 dollars. (I would really just like the cable included, so as to not spend so much money!)

The premier version of it might. I have the Premier deh-P690UB with the ipod and USB cable for sale. No sound retreiver, but not a slouch on the features either.

Yes, it seems too, if so that deck would be perfect. Now its just finding it somewhere local for cheap, where they can also install it for free. Just found out our circuit city is closing, so if something goes wrong, I won't be able to have them fix it. :/

The aftermarket Pioneer should have much better sound than the factory...plus it will have a storage pocket under the new CD player....keep your factory CD Player in case you decide to get rid of the Corolla...The dealerships prefer factory decks over aftermarket even if aftermarket is better...none of your wires will be cut...CC will use a harness to your factory harness...

Yes, it seems too, if so that deck would be perfect. Now its just finding it somewhere local for cheap, where they can also install it for free. Just found out our circuit city is closing, so if something goes wrong, I won't be able to have them fix it. :/
If any other CC's are around within driving distance they will honor the warrnty...The Pioneer is very reliable I doubt it will give you problems....

Oh okay, and is trying to install it myself pretty much hopeless and more money than its worth? I'm pretty sure i'm just gonna screw everything up if I just hold a screw driver anywhere near the head unit.

Thanks so much for the advice. I think I have a pretty good idea now of what I'm getting and where. I think getting that pioneer deck at circuit city would probably be the best bet for me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.