I need a cheap decent amp

What makes you think Rockville is even worth mentioning...because you sell them?  GTFO.  Even crappy amps like CABs push out big numbers on the dyno but sound weak as hell when actually wired up to subs.  Tell me something I don't know.  

Garbage products is garbage products.  No need to glorify junk.  I've been around car audio long enough to know what's decent and what is simply overhyped trash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even crappy amps like CABs push out big numbers on the dyno but sound weak as hell when actually wired up to subs.  

I've been around car audio long enough to know what's decent and what is simply overhyped trash.
Wow... I took a chance on Cab with their 1600.1's and dropped a pair to 1ohm strapped (.5 each) after strengthening-up my electrical was pleasantly surprised.  Overhyped trash?.. that's YOUR opinion, I was happy with mine especially for the price and as far as sounding weak as hell... my ol' Blazer would've disagreed.

A whole plethora of issues cropped up like cracked/loosened glass, console/dash and anything inside destroyed or loosened and torn body metal.... so ya'... weak as hell. Woulda been worse too but I went crazy with foam and deadening when I initially did the install. 

Wasn't a world beater but definitely got rowdy for what it was.

That quote ^^^^... lol... if you were unhappy with the power... it was probably due to some form of user error. 

Boss and Planet audio I'd lump together, Rockville possibly a cut above those but putting CAB in the same group?

OK man... you're the expert

n2audio said:
Lumping them into the same group is garbage.
Late to the party, but yeah, Rockville is garbage, and the current gen CAB doesn't seem to be getting the love of the old 1600.1 which may have been fair. 

The real issue isn't lack of power it's poor reliability, poor efficiency and little to no resale value.   I'd take an 800W amp from a reputable brand before a "2000W" amp from one of those gutter brands personally particularly if we assume OP is only running factory electrical and L7 will be pushed to the absolute limits with an honest 1200W; there's just little to be gained beyond that for the risk IMO.

OP might check out theamplab.net for refurbs of good brands in that power range.

Late to the party, but yeah, Rockville is garbage, and the current gen CAB doesn't seem to be getting the love of the old 1600.1 which may have been fair. 

The real issue isn't lack of power it's poor reliability, poor efficiency and little to no resale value.   I'd take an 800W amp from a reputable brand before a "2000W" amp from one of those gutter brands personally particularly if we assume OP is only running factory electrical and L7 will be pushed to the absolute limits with an honest 1200W; there's just little to be gained beyond that for the risk IMO.

OP might check out theamplab.net for refurbs of good brands in that power range.
i always forget about the amp lab, but i just looked and holy crap!!! it has 3 pages of amps and 2 of them are sundown and taramps!! I know what people are doing to blow the taramps up, but the sundowns? Are those also susceptible to frying when shown below 12v? I assume they are

also, am i the only person who just hates it when people come on here and ask stuff then never tell us what the decided on doing afterwards? I know that it can sometimes spur on the trolls, but i like knowing what direction they went and why. maybe its just my affinity to Paul Harvey

fulfillments.jpg

i always forget about the amp lab, but i just looked and holy crap!!! it has 3 pages of amps and 2 of them are sundown and taramps!! I know what people are doing to blow the taramps up, but the sundowns? Are those also susceptible to frying when shown below 12v? I assume they are
They just get pallet loads of broken amps from these companies.  Who knows how they originally broke?  Probably a mixed bag of abuse and legit manufacturing defects.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.