Hypothetical question regarding in-line high-pass filters

GBloes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 23, 2021
Hamilton
I accidentally ordered 2 sets of 1st order 300hz in-line high-pass filters. Hypothetically, what would happen if I used 2 capacitors per speaker? Based upon my limited knowledge I’m assuming it’d do absolutely nothing other than eat up power, but I was wondering if there’s any way to use them to create a 2nd order high-pass. Even if it changed the crossover frequency.

these are just fail safes (the speakers can be crossed over =/>200hz using 2nd order) once I get around to putting in the amp and active crossovers, until then I’m using 850hz in-lines. But if I could use 4 1st order 300hz capacitors to get 2nd order that’d be preferable in the short term.

AnthonyO

CarAudio.com Veteran
10+ year member
Oct 18, 2005
Minot, North Dakota, United States
Hypothetically it would change the slope of the filter

ciaonzo

TheContinental
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Feb 1, 2009
WI
Two caps in series will not produce a second order slope. They can be wired in parallel with each other and then run in series with the load to create a larger value (lower filter point).

It takes a cap in series and a coil shunted across the load to get a second order electrical roll off. Just google some images for basic crossover design and you'll see what I mean.

Reactions: GBloes

GBloes

CarAudio.com Newbie
Jan 23, 2021
Hamilton
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Two caps in series will not produce a second order slope. They can be wired in parallel with each other and then run in series with the load to create a larger value (lower filter point).

It takes a cap in series and a coil shunted across the load to get a second order electrical roll off. Just google some images for basic crossover design and you'll see what I mean.
thanks. I’ll have to research that, might not ever put the information into use but you can never know too much.

ciaonzo

TheContinental
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Feb 1, 2009
WI
thanks. I’ll have to research that, might not ever put the information into use but you can never know too much.
You should be okay with the single cap until you go active. It will guard against over-excursion, as you mentioned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days