Hypothetical question regarding in-line high-pass filters

Participant count
  • Participants list

GBloes

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hamilton
I accidentally ordered 2 sets of 1st order 300hz in-line high-pass filters. Hypothetically, what would happen if I used 2 capacitors per speaker? Based upon my limited knowledge I’m assuming it’d do absolutely nothing other than eat up power, but I was wondering if there’s any way to use them to create a 2nd order high-pass. Even if it changed the crossover frequency.

these are just fail safes (the speakers can be crossed over =/>200hz using 2nd order) once I get around to putting in the amp and active crossovers, until then I’m using 850hz in-lines. But if I could use 4 1st order 300hz capacitors to get 2nd order that’d be preferable in the short term.

Two caps in series will not produce a second order slope. They can be wired in parallel with each other and then run in series with the load to create a larger value (lower filter point).

It takes a cap in series and a coil shunted across the load to get a second order electrical roll off. Just google some images for basic crossover design and you'll see what I mean.

Two caps in series will not produce a second order slope. They can be wired in parallel with each other and then run in series with the load to create a larger value (lower filter point).

It takes a cap in series and a coil shunted across the load to get a second order electrical roll off. Just google some images for basic crossover design and you'll see what I mean.

thanks. I’ll have to research that, might not ever put the information into use but you can never know too much.

thanks. I’ll have to research that, might not ever put the information into use but you can never know too much.
You should be okay with the single cap until you go active. It will guard against over-excursion, as you mentioned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...