hurry up and bring FLAC to car stereo everyone needs to help out

Drive space is cheap and easy to add if you're of reasonable intelligence. Totally moot for a younger mind.
Obviously you don't care about that kind of quality, but I do... so stop calling me a noob when you're retarded ears can't even tell when something has been compressed or not while my OCD ears hear a metallic Mpeg block in a song and cringe.
"'My are' retarded ears"? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

I'm not going to compromise the art I listen to just because "most people can't tell the difference" ...that's ********. The digital audio file should NOT be the only limiting factor here.
You can't tell the difference. So again, regardless of how expensive hard drive storage is, if the end result provides no benefit, then it is pointless. Period.

But hey, don't let me steer you wrong, buddy! It can be done, so waste your time and money putting .flac in the car just so I can say I told you so.

Now the difference between 320 Kbps and CD-Audio might be minute, but 192-256Kbps, YES you can hear a huge difference!

If you can't hear a difference between CD quality, Mp3 (up to 256kbps) or FLAC.....then compressed audio is for you! Personally, I CAN hear a difference and I have partial hearing loss from years of working on engines and playing metal guitar.

I have albums recorded in FLAC format (Nine Inch Nails) that are even better than CD-Quality because they have information in them that can be reproduced on 5.1/7.1 surround.

I repeat, if you can't hear the difference, compressed audio is for you!

FLAC in the car would only be useful if you were sitting still trying to reproduce a home theater/concert type sound. Not useful while driving at high speeds.

HDD space is cheap now.
flac for toyota/lexus:

Video,Audio Information Solutions for Toyota and Lexus (iPod integration,XM and Sirius SAT radio integration,MP3 integration,Auxiliary input)
That VAIS device looks incredible. EXACTLY what I need for my car(s). If I owned a Toyota, I would buy one immediately. Please make one for Honda's. I would buy two of them.

All of you people hating on FLAC should find another thread. I don't care if you can't tell the difference. I care about sound quality. And 95% of my 1 TB collection of music is in FLAC format. It is a complete waste of my time and resources to convert lossless files to mp3. It's a waste of hard drive space and to carry multiple file types of the same song. You have been conditioned by the mainstream that mp3 is king. How would you like it if no car stereos played lossy files like mp3?

People who can't tell the difference between flac and mp3 don't listen to much live audio. For live audience recordings, the difference is unquestionable.

If you think FLAC eats up hard drive space, you better hope that you don't get into multi-channel DVD-A (DVD Audio). Also, I prefer to have the highest possible level of quality because my vehicle isn't the only place I listen to music.

Also, I wonder if those saying there isn't a difference between the MP3 and the CD mostly listen to brick wall compressed "music" produced within the last 10 years? Once the dynamic range has been squeezed out of the music, there is almost no point in buying the CD because the mp3 is just another crappy iteration of a crappy production.

I can feel the difference between 320 kbps MP3 and CD Audio or Flac. It is not as relaxed a sound. I am not trying to have the loudest car stereo in existance (the dark side). I just want one that approaches my home stereo listening experience in some ways.

In addition I want one format that I listen to everywhere. I am only going to use Flac in my home. Why should I translate everything to listen to it with a slightly different sound (that I am not found of) in my car? The above arguments are silly.

It would be nice to have Flac supported by my head unit where I could plug in my portable 1TB USB drive and have the majority of my collection available simply, easily and comparatively inexpensively.

This functionality is now available for your home with the Seagate Theater+. It was on sale from NewEgg for $50. It has both analog and digital out and supports a wide arrary of digital video and audio formats including Flac. It plays my music collection via the wireless network (it has Ethernet as well) in my home directly from my audio workstation. This is main stream for the home. Why not for the car?

It is difficult to understand why Flac is not available in the head unit of a car stereo.

Wav has good quality, but it takes at least twice as much space.

its really easy to turn any FLAC file to Apple lossless and put it on your ipod

This discussion is about FLAC support in car stereos. Full support and integration in car head unit receivers. I don't own an ipod, never will, and I don't want to convert my flac collection to Apple's proprietary format. I blame Apple for half of this problem.

This discussion is about FLAC support in car stereos. Full support and integration in car head unit receivers. I don't own an ipod, never will, and I don't want to convert my flac collection to Apple's proprietary format. I blame Apple for half of this problem.
apple helped me get the most out of my system.

they made it really easy to get flac to apple lossless and onto a cd or ipod to take anywhere i want. i have it on my phone, so any speakers i listen to sound like speakers that cost 10x what they did. i dont see a problem

apple helped me get the most out of my system.
they made it really easy to get flac to apple lossless and onto a cd or ipod to take anywhere i want. i have it on my phone, so any speakers i listen to sound like speakers that cost 10x what they did. i dont see a problem
Great, I'm glad that worked for you. Sadly, for me and many others, that will not cut it.

ipod is not a true digital connection. its converted to analog thenback to digital for processing by headunit and back to analog for rca/speaker output.

sony 2011 units are first to have true digital connection to ipod.

pioneed attempted it but had issues with it for a while and switched back to analog

and also let me compare some things for yaal ipod lovers

32gb itouch $260>>32gb thumbdrive $40

apple way:

converting your flac collection to itunes>>>roughly about a week for me if not more. tonns of cpu usage and useless PC for a week.

my whole collection beeing copy protected by apples format now and ONLY PLAYABLE ON APPLE PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!

only acessible through I-TUNES

having a useless ipod in my glovebox that i dont use for anything else

configuring reconfiguring,reorganizing playlists

the FLAC way:

no time spent converting any music(mp3 or flac)

DRAG AND DROP FROM WINDOWS EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!! can it be any easier?

thumbdrive compatible with ANY windows based PC (which is a majority unlike apple)

thumbdrive doesnt need software updates

thumbdrive also doesnt neet to be taken out of the car every time.

thumbdrive is compatible with alot of newer models of home entertainment systems( that actually support flac already)

no need for docking stations, copy protection BS, special cables, i-compatibility issues etc

cons:

cant bring your flashdrive to starbucks and attemt to look cool while playing with it for 2 hours like iPod/iTouch/iPad/iToolbag

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.