hurry up and bring FLAC to car stereo everyone needs to help out

So lossless flac is not possible on a normal HU through the usb port with a player that supports flac (8gb sansa fuze+ with 32gb microsd)...that is very disappointing.

To gain true lossless flac at this point, there seem to be 3 options:

1. empeg (rio car mark 1/2) "daisy chained" to another HU that has an optical input. Thats ~150 for a used one on ebay, another ~150 for the HU with the optical input, more for the laptop hdds and an install that may or may not go smoothly. (trying to fit 2 din on a 04 silverado)

2. soundstream ingenix at over $500

3) carputer at over $500

And thats vs playing 320kbps mp3s with the player or usb stick through a kenwood kdc-x395 at $100. FLAC is cool and all, but $400 extra so that my highs at extreme volume dont clip?? It just doesnt seem worth it. I understand why people want to do it though, it removes a bottleneck in the system so that you are working with the absolute best source possible before exposure to other variables. I wanted to do this for years..hopefully one day it there will be more demand.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, ipods for the most part place apple alac too, but if you dont want to commit to apple kinda SOL.

the other issue that i ran into is that DACs arent up to par, whether its on the HU or the portable device, which kinda destroys the purpose of using flac to begin with :\

Not to be a troll, but I agree with the people saying there's no point in lossless at 60mph. Even if the car is just idling, you would negate any need to go above 320kbps Mp3 since the noise of the engine is going to be a few DB above your "noise floor". Also, anytime you go from Digital to Analog you are going to take a dump in SQ. Some people would be going D -> A -> D -> A. Only way to have truely loss-less is by using a USB connected iPod or other device that could play FLAC or go Optical input like mentioned. Carputer is also a very viable way to get FLAC for relatively cheap.

The market is far too slim.... Only home theater or very high SQ mobile installs could even take advantage of the clarity/bandwidth.

Last edited by a moderator:
i know a simple way to easily playback flac files on car stereo whatever the car stereo supports flac or not

but i can not provide a url in this post

so just google search Step by Step Guide on How to Play FLAC in Car Stereo or Radio

you will find the detailed guide

I know a kid who straight up youtube rips all his tracks. Doesnt even know the difference. THAT is why manufacturers don't implement FLAC.. plus many other reasons already stated

My Samsung Galaxy Siii Plays back FLAC but i can't hold more than 10 Albums in there and i use the Aux input in the car and its been great but i also join this thread and wish there was something that can play and store much more FLAC albums.

i also know that recent Samsung Tablets can play FLAC.

FLAC is a win and so is optical out ports, I am done with buying long *** rca's.
right there,optical output is what we need from head unit to amp,cant begin to explain how much cleaner it is,also its much more sensitive.what i mean is optical is louder than rca's at the same volume/output level

right there,optical output is what we need from head unit to amp,cant begin to explain how much cleaner it is,also its much more sensitive.what i mean is optical is louder than rca's at the same volume/output level
Well its definately cleaner... the problem is that amps would need a dac... and that takes some money.

Well its definately cleaner... the problem is that amps would need a dac... and that takes some money.
true it does take money.but they are also working on amps with micro CPU's instead of mosfets.....remember the efficiency and power output of an amp depends largely on how fast the mosfets can switch back and forth.so just imagine how fast CPU's can switch

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.