hurry up and bring FLAC to car stereo everyone needs to help out

raverx3m
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
new york
its year 2010 and mp3 is getting out of style.

for people that want good quality sound MP3 just doesnt cut it

flac as tested by many people is in fact one of the true lossless formats,besides apple lossless

the problem with apple lossless is that its only supported by single media player(ipod), its copy protected

and it is in some cases conected to the headunit thru analog connection

using USB means its decoded by the headunit digital signal

the problem is car audi manufacturers are for some reason ignore this codec completely whether on purpose or not

there isnt a single headunit that supports flac( kenwood music keg and some other addons are exceptions)

as far as i know almost every portable device suppors flac

even my blackberry phone supports flac!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pioneer home receivers, network media players ETC...

theres lots of support for flac

not to mention the people that use it to back up their entire CD collections in FLAC

all of my CDs are backed up in flac but its very GAY and disappointing that i cant take any of them to my car and enjoy quality sound without bringing a stack of CDs.

i ve talked to local reps, i ve created a topic on pioneer mel forum and few other places and so far i got no results.

its like im talking to a wall. pioneer did not give any clear responces why there isnt a flac support still

theres one improvement this and last year tho alot of headunits are supporting WAV playback.

but WAV is uncompressed format that takes up TONNS of space and doesnt support ID tags and any other info

--------------------

i am asking people that use flac to be a lil more active and make your presence known and contact manufacturers and request for flac support, because that might be the only way to get those **** corporations to take action.

i was really hoping that new 2010 models would support it but it seems like the new models are just BS with more flashy stuff and no real innovations.

PLEASE PLEASE make some noise and help me and yourself to bring the quality sound to yor car!!!!!!

the best way to do it is by email directly to the corporations and by talking to your local representatives,

well yea but its a lil more expensive total price
Good point.

Get a P99rs, then convert those flac files to apple lossless, load your ipod up, connect it to said pioneer deck. now the ipod works as a transport and the super duper dacs will convert the files.

Good point.
Get a P99rs, then convert those flac files to apple lossless, load your ipod up, connect it to said pioneer deck. now the ipod works as a transport and the super duper dacs will convert the files.
Problem with that is an I pod will not have the SQ of a good head unit.

It can, if you do what Wadia does and put the DAC outside the unit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I totally agree that we should be able to play FLAC or WMA lossless in the car. I've been researching this for the past week and I've came to the same conclusion. It seems the car audio manufacturers just don't see the need to add it since most people are content with mp3 quality.

In fact. I think they should do away with the mp3 format all together and just switch to the lossless ones. Who figured that people would want to go from listening to CD's to something that sounds like a cassette anyway. Its an old format and its outdated. With USB drives being large enough to store most of your collection on now you don't need the music compressed that much anymore.

I'm in the market for a new head unit right now. And I'll just be going with one that supports WAV files since its the best option right now. Kinda ***** I'll be using so much space to play my music how I want it to sound but its better than toting around a bunch of CD's I guess.

I totally agree that we should be able to play FLAC or WMA lossless in the car. I've been researching this for the past week and I've came to the same conclusion. It seems the car audio manufacturers just don't see the need to add it since most people are content with mp3 quality.
In fact. I think they should do away with the mp3 format all together and just switch to the lossless ones. Who figured that people would want to go from listening to CD's to something that sounds like a cassette anyway. Its an old format and its outdated. With USB drives being large enough to store most of your collection on now you don't need the music compressed that much anymore.

I'm in the market for a new head unit right now. And I'll just be going with one that supports WAV files since its the best option right now. Kinda ***** I'll be using so much space to play my music how I want it to sound but its better than toting around a bunch of CD's I guess.
First off, MP3s don't necessarily have terrible sq. Certainly nowhere near as bad as a cassette. For most listening, they work just fine.

Second, how many people do you figure use FLAC or other lossless codecs? A tiny tiny sliver, and no wonder.. Lossless files are nearly as large as their wav counterparts, so would i rather have my 160gb ipod filled with 320 albums, or thousands?

OE' and aftermarket manufacturers haven't adopted lossless because it doesn't make sense at this point in time. So if you want to use a niche codec, you're going to likely have to use niche hardware.

Ok I exaggerated a little on the sound quality of mp3. They don't sound that bad. But I bet if people had the option to use FLAC on as many devices as you can use mp3 it would be used more.

Also, I think people just stick with mp3 cause its the only option. When you download songs online most are an MP3 or AAC file.

I kinda think the ipod spoiled people into being able to carry around their whole music collection with them. I myself have no use of carrying around all my music with me. I don't need 300 albums in my pocket when I'll only listen to a fraction of them in a week anyway. If I want to switch it up I'll just take off a few and add others. I guess its a trade off of functionality vs. quality.

I do think we should have the option to play FLAC files anywhere or be able to download them in FLAC when we purchase music online. That's why I still buy CD's. Maybe when usb drives are large enough to carry more music than anyone owns they will add the support but I hope it comes sooner than that.

eugenics you are wrong on that issue and a lil outdated

check the supported formats of portable media players and home audio even cellphones support FLAC

and im so temted to call you an I-tool but i dont because i dont hate ipod its a great media player BUT>>

>>ipod is not the only mp3 player out there

and apple format is not the only format out there

i dont use apple products or ipod and not planning to convert all my 300gb of music into ITUNES compatible media so i can only listen to it on apple products

do you see my point?

apple restricts you to ONLY apple products and not much else

can you take the music on your ipod and EASILY copy it to your external hard drive to use in your other car?

well i can with MP3 and flac

i can put it on as many media players i want without going thru the program called i tunes.

another point is storage space is getting cheaper and larger

so who is gonna complain about 400-500 mb per album when you have 2-4 terabytes of space on your PC?

you dont even need that much music in the car its not like you listen to all of it. i bet 20% of your ipod is filled with music you never listened to since you put it on there.

--------------------------

good point Get a P99rs

lol man really?

car pc cost around 800$ its expensive

solution: get a p99rs which costs 1300$ not a great way to save money on car stereo

eugenics you are wrong on that issue and a lil outdated
check the supported formats of portable media players and home audio even cellphones support FLAC

and im so temted to call you an I-tool but i dont because i dont hate ipod its a great media player BUT>>

>>ipod is not the only mp3 player out there

and apple format is not the only format out there

i dont use apple products or ipod and not planning to convert all my 300gb of music into ITUNES compatible media so i can only listen to it on apple products

do you see my point?

apple restricts you to ONLY apple products and not much else

can you take the music on your ipod and EASILY copy it to your external hard drive to use in your other car?

well i can with MP3 and flac

i can put it on as many media players i want without going thru the program called i tunes.

another point is storage space is getting cheaper and larger

so who is gonna complain about 400-500 mb per album when you have 2-4 terabytes of space on your PC?

you dont even need that much music in the car its not like you listen to all of it. i bet 20% of your ipod is filled with music you never listened to since you put it on there.

--------------------------

good point Get a P99rs

lol man really?

car pc cost around 800$ its expensive

solution: get a p99rs which costs 1300$ not a great way to save money on car stereo
Idiot. First of all, i don't have an ipod, dont use a mac, nothing of that sort. I was simply pointing out that its the only other option for lossless.

And how do people get a majority of their music? They download it. So do you think a majority of people are going to go out and download 500mb albums? Most people don't have connections that can download at a few megabytes per second. Very few people want to deal with that compromise.

Most people also don't have 2-4tb. We dont all live on the bleeding edge. Most of us have had our computers for a few years. I have well over a TB of music, most of which i downloaded almost 6 years ago. Far from typical.

I don't need all my albums in my car? Who are you to tell me what i need, or what i'll use. You dont NEED lossless music in your car. So what?

No, i'm not outdated or wrong. You just live in a different world.

And i will look forward to having a mac mini as a car pc //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.