hu/wiring harness connection

Participant count
  • Participant list

-=BD=-gEIGH
10+ year member

So I'm gonna install my first head unit today....how do you guys suggest I connect the head unit wires to the wiring harness? Should I solder? crimp? solder and crimp? I know how to solder, but I've never crimped before...any tips/suggestions/guides? Is heatshrinking stuff really necessary? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thx in advance!

In my opinion either works just fine. solder is the best. but i think the heat shrink isn't needed. just tape it up with some 33+ and your set. never heard of solder and crimping, doesn't sound like a good idea. beside if you going to solder why bother crimping.

thx //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'll solder it and use electrical tape //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I prefer insulated butt-connectors they look good and if u crimp them good they should never come uncrimped. Heatshrinks are also good but i dislike soldering beacause it can get sharp and cut other wires + its time consuming.

personally i don't see how heat shrink is faster than taping. it may look better but who's going to see the wires anyway.

Your wasting your time if your taping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif . Sooner or later the wires will come disconnected and you will have to just do the same thing over and over again some thing that will last like heatshrinking and butt connectors you wont ever have any problems if you crimp right //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif . If you use electrical tape u might as well use wire nuts :p hahahahahahahaha

Well, he's talking about taping after soldering, which isn't bad, per se, but heat shrink is definitely cleaner. Plus, tape tends to unwind, allowing for potential shorting after a while. I guess, since I use heat shrink in my work, I've gotten good at it, it really takes me a lot less time to shrink a wire than to tape it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.