How was the Nakamichi CD500 ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

sa5150

CarAudio.com Newbie
I had a CD400 and regretted selling it some years ago . I was interested in the CD500 but Nak went under and I ended up getting a USB capable unit , I have tried all new units since Pioneer,Kenwood Excelon,Alpine,JVC . I ended up liking the JVC the most and think there 5 volt pre-outs are very good , My NAK CD400 had some week 4volts , No way there could have been 4 volts , I had my amps almost maxed . Now there nice and low the way they should be on the gains . While USB would be nice , I can't find a nice clean looking CD head unit without all the junk . My current JVC is a pain in the ass just to change colors . Anyone ever have the CD500 and what are some thoughts ?

Thanks guys !

I had a cd500 back in the day. Actually I had 3 of them. I bought one and it was replaced twice under warranty. The first one skipped horribly. You could not drive and listen to a cd. The second one had a channel go bad after a week. The third lasted one month past the end of the warranty before dying with a puff of smoke one day while I was driving. I said enough and bought a pioneer.
I have bought nothing but pioneer head units since then.
I remember the Nak having great sound quality. But the reliability was about equal to a Kia with a 400 shot of nitrous.

Last edited:
I would Recommend looking at some older Eclipse HUs.Not a bunch of crap to go through to get where you want and Decent Voltage on most older units. Pretty Simplistic/straight forward the reason I enjoy running them

I would Recommend looking at some older Eclipse HUs.Not a bunch of crap to go through to get where you want and Decent Voltage on most older units. Pretty Simplistic/straight forward the reason I enjoy running them
Is this a good one CD7200 mk II ? I remember wanting this one bad but impossible to find in excellent condition .
What others compare ? YOu can also add some other brands in there as long as they have clean high volts and reliable . I never understood why some of the high end players included power that no one would ever use .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...