how to wire 2 subs: 2 ohm or 4 ohm

Participant count
  • Participant list
are you sure that model number is right? are they dual 2 ohm subs or dual 4 ohm?
I am not 100 percent certain as the subs are in enclosures. When I tested the the two wires coming out of the box with an ohm meter it read 4 ohms. Someone told me that indicates the are DVC. There are only two models of the AS104. Either SVC or DVC.

I am not 100 percent certain as the subs are in enclosures. When I tested the the two wires coming out of the box with an ohm meter it read 4 ohms. Someone told me that indicates the are DVC. There are only two models of the AS104. Either SVC or DVC.
yeah i'm not familiar with those subs and apparently neither is google. as for wiring 2 ohm or 4 ohm it all depends on the subs. thats why its important to know if they are dvc or svc, 2 ohm or 4 ohm.

I will have to take them out of the enclosure to be certain. I was able to locate the spec sheets for both the dvc and svc from a site that had archived all of the PG manuals from the past.

The spec sheet says the DVC version is 1.9 ohm and the SVC is 3.65 ohm (DC VC Res).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mystery solved. I have taken both subs out and found that they are indeed model XS104DVC. It looks like the amp I have will work with this config. although probably a little too powerful given 350 watts from the amp going into these subs which are rated at Pe (thermal power handling) of 200 watts. No other wattage spec is given. According to the wizard (above) the wiring matches:

Two 2 ohm DVC speakers = 2 ohm load

(series/parallel) = 2 ohm load

Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel

Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono

Mystery solved. I have taken both subs out and found that they are indeed model XS104DVC. It looks like the amp I have will work with this config. although probably a little too powerful given 350 watts from the amp going into these subs which are rated at Pe (thermal power handling) of 200 watts. No other wattage spec is given. According to the wizard (above) the wiring matches:
Two 2 ohm DVC speakers = 2 ohm load

(series/parallel) = 2 ohm load

Voice coils wired in series, speakers wired in parallel

Recommended Amplifier: Stable at 2 or 1 ohm mono
The amp isn't too powerful. You have to half the output because you're running 2 subs. So they'll each see around 175rms. They are 4ohm dvc, so you have to run them at a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load. Can't get a 2 ohm out of it.

The amp isn't too powerful. You have to half the output because you're running 2 subs. So they'll each see around 175rms. They are 4ohm dvc, so you have to run them at a 4 ohm load or a 1 ohm load. Can't get a 2 ohm out of it.
Confused. The spec sheet says they are 1.9 ohms. When I ran the wizard it says 2 ohms. What am I missing?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.