How to prep. Trunk for Deadining ?

pioneer
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I wanna get some sound deading material for my trunk.

What steps and precautions i should take in preparing the trunk and also where exactly should i put the material ?

I saw a guy do a trunk with using 3" x 10" strips, instead of covering the entire trunk and it worked. What should i do ?

The car is a 2000 Mitsubishi Galant

Thanks.

Read that ^.

Just wanted to add that if you are installing multiple layers...and have a material like Second Skin Damplifier...you will need to clean the top side of the bottom layer...so you have a clean surface to stick the second layer to. Damplifier has a silver side, and it needs to be cleaned.

I cannot stress the importance of prep work enough. If the material does not have a proper surface to bond to, you will end up with major problems down the road. It really is worth that extra few minutes to clean the surface properly.

- Steve

use a cleaner/degreaser to clean the bare metal. i used "purple power" n it's pretty darn good.

u gotta clean all the dirt n stuff, then let it dry, n apply.

i just use Armor All Glass Cleaner. it is less corosive and harmful than paint thinner and will have the same effect. it is designed to take anything off (greese, oil, dirt, etc) without taking the sealent off as well.

Originally posted by pioneer Is rubbing-alcohol corrosive to metal ?
no, very safe to everything in fact. however, i don't know how it would do against greese though. spray some WD40 on something and try it out to see if it will work.

w da amount of money u spend on rubbin alcohol u could buy the purple power thing. (~$4-5)

Its' good. cleans very well, n u can use it in other stuff besides car. check out my site (link on sig) to see some pics of installin soudn deadendin

Originally posted by Matador w da amount of money u spend on rubbin alcohol u could buy the purple power thing. (~$4-5)

Its' good. cleans very well, n u can use it in other stuff besides car. check out my site (link on sig) to see some pics of installin soudn deadendin
Thanks man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But rubbin alcohol is pretty cheap where i am, so i guess i'll use that

thanks for the pics.

I will not use anything but paint thinner or acetone.

They will not leave any residue behind.

Here is the way I do it

Make sure you do this in a well ventelated are. Use a fan if you can.

1. Get some LINT FREE towels. I get mine from a janitorial supply shop.

2. Vaccume (shop-vac) the bare metal of the trunck to get all the dirt and fluff out.

3. soak the LINT FREE towel in paint thinner. and rub the hell out of the mounting surface

4. let dry for 10 minutes & go over it with a dry LINT FREE towel again.

5. use an air compressor to blow over the entire surface.

6. repeate steps 3, 4, & 5 using a different, clean LINT FREE towel each time.

7 install material

this is how I do it, and it works very well.

as steve said. remember to do this process on the back side of the first layer if you plan on addin a second layer. Anywhere you put the material should be preped as well as you can.

Email me if you have any questions

sevice@secondskinaudio.com

ANT

Originally posted by ifandorbuts I will not use anything but paint thinner or acetone.

They will not leave any residue behind.

Here is the way I do it

Make sure you do this in a well ventelated are. Use a fan if you can.

1. Get some LINT FREE towels. I get mine from a janitorial supply shop.

2. Vaccume (shop-vac) the bare metal of the trunck to get all the dirt and fluff out.

3. soak the LINT FREE towel in paint thinner. and rub the hell out of the mounting surface

4. let dry for 10 minutes & go over it with a dry LINT FREE towel again.

5. use an air compressor to blow over the entire surface.

6. repeate steps 3, 4, & 5 using a different, clean LINT FREE towel each time.

7 install material

this is how I do it, and it works very well.

as steve said. remember to do this process on the back side of the first layer if you plan on addin a second layer. Anywhere you put the material should be preped as well as you can.

Email me if you have any questions

sevice@secondskinaudio.com

ANT
Thanks alot man, i'll use something called methylated spirit...it's really rubbing-alcohol that doctors use on ppl's skin before giving injections. It's use by barbers to clean razors and other utensils. It's clear and doesn't leave any residue.

I'll got my material today, it's called GSI Dampit...made by some company named GSI. Global Sound Inc.

I got it pretty cheap, where i live it's $200TT, which works out to be about $20US.

I know it's cheap but many ppl said it works well. I'll do it this weekend and let you all know how it worked out.

Thanks alot //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

good products!

I looked in to GSI when researching my Second Skin material.

a bit pricy over here though

Let us know how it turns out!

ANT

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.