How to Paint Wood (mdf) to a High Gloss Mirror Finish With a Spray Can

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
Finished.jpg

Well I have been planning out my enclosure for my 15" DC XL and wanted something amazing that is really going to turn heads, I looked into suede, plexiglass, carpet, fiberglass... and decided on a combination of them, but Theonly part I didnt know how to accomplish was achieving that show car paint job, a high shine high-gloss mirror paint job that looks like a professional job. Now I will post pics later of my practice runs but I just though I would post pics for the 2 tutorials I found that work very well for paint anything that can be primed to a mirror finish. It took me a while to find these So I thought I would share them! Now these are all done with a spray can. Here is an over view of the process:

1. Sand surface smooth with no deep scratches (use filer if needed)

2. Prime 2-3 coats sanding with 320 grit between

3. Spray Color coat, use light coats many layers sand at the last coat with 400 grit and spray one more layer and sand with 600 grit or 1000 grit (look at tutorial most paints need to cure for at least 2-3 days)

4. Now spray clear coats several thin layers and sand after 5-10 coats with 600 1000 and 2000.

5. Then Buff with rubbing compound, then swirl compound (maybe one or another) and later after a couple week cure you can use car polish or a jewelers rouge...

important notes:

-Use quality paint and sandpaper it makes a huge difference

-Spray many thin layers 8-12" away

-follow directions on materials

Now you can have a great glossy finish with no expensive equipment. Hope this helps some people. I dont post much but I know I was looking for something like this so Im sure a few others are as well.

I am not in anyway taking credit for these tutorials just putting it in a place where its easier for the car audio industry to find! I read through probably 20 tutorials to find these 2 good ones.

Links to tutorials:

part 1-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 1)

part 2-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 2)

tutorial #2

How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog

Cool, ya I live in Mesa now though.
I probably have around ~$30, Got most of it from home depot.

Wet-sanding is where it's at when your all done. That Lacquer paint shines up awesome!
You did this with the Blazer too ya? Btw it's the kid from Chevron. I got a sloppy *** box that I might have to do this to if you're up for helping me out.

Wow its been awhile sonce I posted this, if anyone has pics of there attempts post them up, I will post mine when I get home from work!

I'm in the middle of attempting this right now. I just (5 minutes ago) finished wet sanding the second coat of primer with 400 grit. Once it's dry enough Imma put the first layer of gloss black on. I'll post pics later and once I'm finished.

Hoping for a sweet look. :p

Wow its been awhile sonce I posted this, if anyone has pics of there attempts post them up, I will post mine when I get home from work!
holy krap. where you work 10mo hitches?

btw, color does effect. for solid colors, black shows the most imperfection of any, and if you do metalics, make sure to have a nice smooth/even primer coat to spray on, or it will mottle and show all the coarse scratches and pits, etc. a couple primer coats and 400 should suffice for most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...