How to Paint Wood (mdf) to a High Gloss Mirror Finish With a Spray Can

nissanrider06
10+ year member

VooDoo
Eagan, MN
Finished.jpg

Well I have been planning out my enclosure for my 15" DC XL and wanted something amazing that is really going to turn heads, I looked into suede, plexiglass, carpet, fiberglass... and decided on a combination of them, but Theonly part I didnt know how to accomplish was achieving that show car paint job, a high shine high-gloss mirror paint job that looks like a professional job. Now I will post pics later of my practice runs but I just though I would post pics for the 2 tutorials I found that work very well for paint anything that can be primed to a mirror finish. It took me a while to find these So I thought I would share them! Now these are all done with a spray can. Here is an over view of the process:

1. Sand surface smooth with no deep scratches (use filer if needed)

2. Prime 2-3 coats sanding with 320 grit between

3. Spray Color coat, use light coats many layers sand at the last coat with 400 grit and spray one more layer and sand with 600 grit or 1000 grit (look at tutorial most paints need to cure for at least 2-3 days)

4. Now spray clear coats several thin layers and sand after 5-10 coats with 600 1000 and 2000.

5. Then Buff with rubbing compound, then swirl compound (maybe one or another) and later after a couple week cure you can use car polish or a jewelers rouge...

important notes:

-Use quality paint and sandpaper it makes a huge difference

-Spray many thin layers 8-12" away

-follow directions on materials

Now you can have a great glossy finish with no expensive equipment. Hope this helps some people. I dont post much but I know I was looking for something like this so Im sure a few others are as well.

I am not in anyway taking credit for these tutorials just putting it in a place where its easier for the car audio industry to find! I read through probably 20 tutorials to find these 2 good ones.

Links to tutorials:

part 1-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 1)

part 2-

linear1 case mods » case mod 101: how to paint your computer case (part 2)

tutorial #2

How to paint MDF to a mirror finish worklog

elan got on my comp...... aparently him and geoff are tryin to drag me into something, but....no i didn't know he even had a rooster

When I build my studio monitors, I am going to use this method, and post pics.

It will be a bit though....

Thanks a lot for the info.

I'm starting the paint job, so far I've rounded all the edges of the box and sanded it

using 80 grit and slopped some wood filer on all the cut edges. After the wood filler

dries I'll smooth it down with 230 grit and begin the primer stage by brushing it on.

* Miniwax Sanding Sealer Primer(brush on)

* 4 cans of Gloss Black Lacquer for wood

* 1 can automotive clear

* Elmers wood filler

suppliesoo1.jpg

Wood Filler on Cut Sides...

woodfillerpr1.jpg

roundedvj6.jpg

boxzs8.jpg

1st Coat of Primer...

primercoat1qk1.jpg

3rd Coat of Primer...

3rdcoatir1.jpg

3rdcoat2fr6.jpg

3rd Coat of Black Lacquer...

coat4an0.jpg

coat4oc4.jpg

Looking good bro! How deep are you in it supply wise?

Oh ****, I just notices you are in Scottsdale. I was thinking of doing my box like this, but I may just carpet it, LOL.

Cool, ya I live in Mesa now though.

I probably have around ~$30, Got most of it from home depot.

Wet-sanding is where it's at when your all done. That Lacquer paint shines up awesome!

looks real good. might attempt to do it with my next box. where does the rubbing compound and the clear come into play? i would rather ask since yours just came out pretty nice. also do you have anymore pics after the 3rd coat of black?

looks real good. might attempt to do it with my next box. where does the rubbing compound and the clear come into play? i would rather ask since yours just came out pretty nice. also do you have anymore pics after the 3rd coat of black?
What he said ^^^

And cool bro, I may just end up trying this. Looks real dope! I actually painted my wheels, but didnt come across this thread til afterwards //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I think I may repaint them or get them powder coated early next year.

Actually never ended up using that clear coat, was no need for it.

The rubbing compound is like using 1500 grit sand paper. I used the rubbing compound after I was done wet sanding. I then finished with some Meguiars Gold Class Polishing Wax last.

The rubbing compound comes in handy in the future if you pick up some scratches on the box and want to quickly take them out. Just remember to finish with a polish.

No more pics after 3rd coat, but you can see the wavy lines in the paint, you need to wet-sand the entire box to get those out. There was massive orange peel also before wet-sanding.

The rubbing compound is like using 1500 grit sand paper. I used the rubbing compound after I was done wet sanding. I then finished with some Meguiars Gold Class Polishing Wax last.

The rubbing compound comes in handy in the future if you pick up some scratches on the box and want to quickly take them out. Just remember to finish with a polish.

No more pics after 3rd coat, but you can see the wavy lines in the paint, you need to wet-sand the entire box to get those out. There was massive orange peel also before wet-sanding.
Yea, rubbing compound works miracles... So you applied no clear at all? Any idea what other colors they had in the lacquer or did they have a ton?

how long or how much are you sanding with the wet sand? i see what you mean now with it. think i'm going to attempt this one on my next box build here in the next few weeks.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...