How to make a bose system better?

If you are to consider replacing the HU, the pre amp outputs are based on a line level sensitivity regulation ranging anywhere from 2-9volts. The higher the preamp voltage, the better the sound because you would not be underpowering the speakers as much and distortion will decrease from being able to use them in normal operating volumes. So, if you bypass the Bose amps, the preamp will need to be 4 volts or higher generally to get enough to power the speakers directly from the HU. Low level outputs are generally for connecting AM amps, but the purpose here is to utilize the HU more effectively. however, preamp voltage regulation does not mean that the higher the voltage the better the signal unless the speakers match the needed output or are subpar to the given voltage of the HU, in which this case, being that they are factory drivers, you will likely be ok.

That is what was meant. This idea seems logical. Either that or rip out are your best options.

Really? just curious, how do 4v pre-outs relate to this. I dont exactly get it. I'm still new to car audio.
Metra makes a harness that allows you to just use the rca outs from an aftermarket headunit to drive the factory amps.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882309342 I tried this on my '03 pathfinder & while it worked ok, 4v preouts didn't provide as powerful of a signal as the stock headunit & was not as loud as the stock HU. 6 volt or stronger preouts would have been more ideal. Still played reasonably loud though. Another option is to use line level converters on the speaker outputs of the aftermarket headunit. Nissan/Infiniti Factory Integration Adapter 1994-up Nissan/Infiniti at Crutchfield.com These will have little gain pots that are adjustable & you will be able to play the system as loud as the stock headunit. Those are your two options if you want to add an aftermarket headunit to the bose system.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to think this isnt a bose system lol. I was always "told" by the owner it was. But I see no markings. there is no bose sub in the rear deck or even an amp tucked up there. Is there any way to know for sure?

Leave it alone for now till you do more research, and figure out what you need to budget for/replace.Take some time and get some info, and start saving towards a great sound system to last you/or lots of head rm for upgrades as well.Id rip that Bose out ..save it and put it back in stock if ever selling the vehicle.Just my opinion...Take your time, and get the good quality pieces to make a good sound stage overall.

in an envoy/trailblazer the bose is the worst thing. the front speakers are comps and each speaker is 2 ohms, where as the rears are co axials and are 4 ohms. the crossovers are within the external amp, so that makes things even better. some truck models have bose system but dont say bose anywhere visible, you have you look at the serial code in the glove box. if you want to replace the headunit and keep the bose the harness is $150. but that is just for the trailvoy's, dont know what it would mean for your vehicle.

i would say to gut the whole thing.

If it's a Bose system it'll say so somewhere, prolly on the dash. And you'll have an amp under the rear deck. Sounds like this one is just the standard factory audio. I don't think Nissans have an RPO code sticker listing all the factory equipment like GM does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.