How to keep subwoofer from shifting in trunk (pic)

Daft
10+ year member

Ok this problem is starting to get annoying. My subwoofer in the trunk of my car keeps shifting and bouncing around inside my trunk. It is pretty small and not that heavy so that's why it keeps happening. I tried keeping it down with velcro stick pads. That helped a little but not during tight highspeed turns. What other otions do I have? I don't want to tie, bolt down or add some brace stick to hold it down, I wanna keep it looking clean and simple. Here's a pic of my trunk, please discuss.

I can see why you don't want to bolt it down with an L bracket ... duh, it's an M3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Do you want the enclosure to stay there or can you allow it to be shifted around to different positions within the trunk?

- Steve

Do you want the enclosure to stay there or can you allow it to be shifted around to different positions within the trunk?
I can move the box around if it will stay, so long as it's touching the back seat, I don't care where it is.

"What other otions do I have?"

Duct tape?

.... mmmyep...

How about attaching simple V brackets to the bottom of the box, and using slipping those over the spare tire cover? It's not doing any real damage (2 screws into the box, 2 into the cover) and it would do the job.

How about attaching simple V brackets to the bottom of the box, and using slipping those over the spare tire cover? It's not doing any real damage (2 screws into the box, 2 into the cover) and it would do the job.
Actually that's not a bad idea, screwing something from under the carpet into the box. But I need the box to be quickly removable since I occasionally remove it to accomodate luggage, boxes, etc. that require more trunk space. The M3 is fast and fun but I still need it to be practical. Ha I guess my demands are too high so my options are limited. Maybe I'll try LOTS of velcro on the bottom. But keep those ideas coming..

What about ... like a door hinge type idea ...

I guess what I'm trying to get it is putting one part on the box and one on the floor, then slide a pin through it ... I mean you'd wind up with one piece on your trunk floor, which I think you're trying to get away from. I was going to suggest recessing the part on the box up into the bottom of the box, but then you wouldn't be able to slide the pin in. Bah.

If it wasn't an M3, I'd tell you to corner hard //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

- Steve

Well, depending on how sharp you corner, the V brackets wouldn't need to be screwed into the cover. They'd just be there, with the cover stuck between each side. Heck, tighten them and you shouldn't need the screws at all.

I know the predicament, my subs take up literally half my trunk, and the amps take the other half.

what about open cell foam, the kind of stuff that is used to keep stuff on shelves and toolboxes?

i use that in my van, works great, although I have rubber mat on the floor instead of carpeting...

i used the prickley clear matting u use for under ur computer desk, work good. they kinda dig into the carpet and held it pretty good, no noticable shifter. u could also do like a comdination of that and velcro

Just throw down two or three strips of velcro on the bottom of it (claw side down), and you'll be fine. I got some cheap stuff from a fabric store, and my box doesn't shift at all. Just make sure that it sticks good to your box, the adhesive on the back may not stick very well to the carpeted box.

why not use L bracket? just put it on the side where those looking into your trunk can't see? unless you use L brackets or get ur box built into the car, you're pretty much going to have the sub move..... W/that kind of car and that kind of speed it can do - you will result in L brackets

Bungy cord //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

removeable and makes no permanent marks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.