How to fix a cracked basket?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Dammned!!Did you drop that joker??Be sure to sand down or take a Dremel and remove that black coating of the area for the JB/Apoxy to adhere to better
I did not drop it. I also thought I had it packed great. I live in Illinois, and used the same packing material it was sent to me in from Louisiana. Also survived the trip to Rhode Island and back. Now I sent them to Florida and this happens //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

ive used jb weld to save my *** many times, but idk if id trust it on a frame of that caliber..
personally id take it to a local welding shop, and have them run a bead. An experienced welder will know how low to set the amps to not induce "warpage" from excessive heat. and to not run a solid bead at once etc..

as long as its not aluminum, i think youll be ok
It is cast aluminum, like most high dollar sub baskets

Looks like Cast to me..A bead on a steel basket would be the way to go..maybe even brazed would be ideal
Yep, cast. Can you braze aluminum? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Anyways, welding would be more risky and costly than JB weld.

However, I want to be really sure that JB weld will hold

Yep, cast. Can you braze aluminum? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Anyways, welding would be more risky and costly than JB weld.
However, I want to be really sure that JB weld will hold
If you find a good welder in your area, that can weld aluminium it would be ideal/great..But Thats cast and its not going to hold together..JB is the way to go, or replace the basket all together.Cast is used to keep the weight down and cheap to keep the cost down for the builder as well.You need to make sure you clean all that paint/coating off down to surface cast, and clean with alcohol(removes any oils and dust/debris,and dries fast) for a clean adhere surface,or it wont last,or serve justice.I have worked in several Clean Rooms, and they generally use alcohol and hot water to clean everything before entering,even tools.

If you find a good welder in your area, that can weld aluminium it would be ideal/great..But Thats cast and its not going to hold together..JB is the way to go, or replace the basket all together.Cast is used to keep the weight down and cheap to keep the cost down for the builder as well.You need to make sure you clean all that paint/coating off down to surface cast, and clean with alcohol(removes any oils and dust/debris,and dries fast) for a clean adhere surface,or it wont last,or serve justice.I have worked in several Clean Rooms, and they generally use alcohol and hot water to clean everything before entering,even tools.
Ok, thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.