How To Correctly Hook Up This MTX Sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

SoCaL081
10+ year member

Hello. I have 12in MTX Thunder 5500 dvc 4ohm sub that I am hooking up to a Sony XM-GTX1821 1000w amp and don't know which way to go with it... The sub is 300rms, 900w max and dont know if I should just run it to one of the 2 channels at 2 ohms or bridge it to 8 ohms? Hopefully someone can help me out with which way to go. It says 2 ohms on the terminals [f the mtx enclosure it came from the factory with but can wire it differently? All this electronic stuff confuses me, please help!

Im gonna get a different amp soon but for now i should bridge it so wire it as series (8ohm load)? Oceanside cali by the way

Im gonna get a different amp soon but for now i should bridge it so wire it as series (8ohm load)? Oceanside cali by the way
series it. Dont wanna chance that amp burning your car to the ground. There's a lil car audio club in san diego if you want to join em. They do occasional bass meets, bbqs and stuff down there. Members are friendly and helpful too.

Bridged to series coils will yield the same over all impedance to each channel of the amplifier as will 4ohm stereo. Either way, make sure the signal sent to the amp is mono.

Well i didnt know which would be better between running the sub at 2 ohm in one channel or 8 ohm bridged...

Well i didnt know which would be better between running the sub at 2 ohm in one channel or 8 ohm bridged...
Meaning power wise cause ive heard the lower load, more power?

You will get the same power at 8 ohms bridged, 4 ohms stereo, or one channel running at 2 ohms. Id stick to 8 ohms bridged, or 4 ohms stereo, whichever you prefer.

Also, what lpf frequency should i set my deck to? 50,60,80,100,or 120hz? How about the hpf?
What to set your low and high pass filters at depends on a few things. What freq do your mids run down to? Is the sub enclosure sealed or vented? If vented, whats the tuning?

If you are confused, just set your hpf to 20hz, and play with the lpf setting until it sounds the best.

The box is the vented mtx thunder box that came with the sub

What to set your low and high pass filters at depends on a few things. What freq do your mids run down to? Is the sub enclosure sealed or vented? If vented, whats the tuning?
If you are confused, just set your hpf to 20hz, and play with the lpf setting until it sounds the best.

Bridged to series coils will yield the same over all impedance to each channel of the amplifier as will 4ohm stereo. Either way, make sure the signal sent to the amp is mono.
Wow...haven't seen you post on here like...forever!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.