Street rod sound system

Participant count
  • Participant list

Josh068

So, I've got a 1953 Chevy truck. Completely gutted. The interior is going to be covered in Dynamat. I was thinking 6x9s in boxes in the cab corners and maybe 5x7s in the doors. The head unit will be the Pioneer DEH-80PRS with a Fosgate 4 channel amp.

Any thoughts and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

What size of speakers would you recommend? Unfortunately 6.5s won't fit (old truck, small space).
Deadener is definitely your friend if you're going to have an engine that sounds like a helicopter.

6.5" components can work. Consider building some pods that will fit snug in the kick panels. Kicks are a great location for good imaging and also wont require any cutting or altering other factory stuff that you may want to keep stock and intact.

Hmm as an all around component I would have recommended a 6.5. Is it the depth that is too small? Could build a spacer or put them in the kick panel area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The passenger side kick panel will have all the A/C hoses running behind it. The door is thick enough, but the widow and mechanism take up a ton of room in the door. And there is only about 3/4 of an inch between the inner shell and the glass. Another option would be to put the speakers behind the seat, completely hidden. But I'm not sure about the sound quality.

There is not nearly as much room behind the dash as you would think. A lot of it is taken up by wiring, especially with a late model engine that requires a computer and A/C which takes up a lot of room.

Pics of the kick panels? What is your skill level? You could build kick panels that would space out the speaker from the panel with fibre glass.

I remeasured the kick panels and mocked up some hoses. There will actually be enough room for 6.5 speakers. So my question is, who makes good component speakers that don't cost a fortune?

Many companies. I like Audison, hertz is nice but I found them to be not as crisp. Best bet is to go to a couple audio shops and listen to what they have. It is a lot of personal preference. I went in looking at alpine type R's till I heard the other speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.