How should I set the Gain, LP Filter, Subsonic, on my Alpine MRX-M100 with 1 SWR12D4?

Google " amp settings".
I did google it but, it's really complicated and confusing. Since this is a pretty popular subwoofer and amp, both from the same brand and same RMS wattage, I'm sure someone on here has the same set up as me and know the correct settings.

Hmmm it can be tricky but I turn my gain up till I hear distortion, then turn it down a notch. If I still hear it while driving I have a bass nob to turn it down some more. I guess if you're looking for an exact setting I couldn't tell ya

I don't think I'm very good at listening to distortion. I've always turn bass up till this loud metal on metal bottoming out sound on other systems before I know to turn it lower. I'm planning on having it professionally tuned but the shop keeps delaying me. It's been 2 weeks already and I have a feeling it's gonna be another week and a half. I wanna grab temporary settings from someone first.

Well if it makes you nervous just keep the gain low, and my LPF is on about 60 hz cause you don't want a lot of higher frequency noise like voices and such comin through a sub. That sounds like crap. As long as you don't hear any clipping or bottoming out then your sub will be healthy. I can't help you on subsonic because I never dealt with an amp that had that setting on it.

What does clipping sound like? I've searched this so many times and I haven't been able to find a good example. My gain is currently at 100%, should I make it lower? I was thinking 1000W amp and 1000W sub would mean it will be able to be at 100% power.

I don't think I'm very good at listening to distortion. I've always turn bass up till this loud metal on metal bottoming out sound on other systems before I know to turn it lower. I'm planning on having it professionally tuned but the shop keeps delaying me. It's been 2 weeks already and I have a feeling it's gonna be another week and a half. I wanna grab temporary settings from someone first.
google up how to set gains with a digital multi meter. grab one for 10 bucks from walmart and you'll be good to go.

subsonic is to be set at or just below box tuning, lpf is dependent on user preference. set it where it sounds best to you. gain is dependent on head unit output, so its up to you to figure that out. the way you are doing it now is completely incorrect. the gain is not a volume knob. you need to match it up with your Head Unit's RCA Out voltage or you will clip your sub to hell.

but we all know you are going to ignore any recommendations and do whatever you want.

subsonic is to be set at or just below box tuning, lpf is dependent on user preference. set it where it sounds best to you. gain is dependent on head unit output, so its up to you to figure that out. the way you are doing it now is completely incorrect. the gain is not a volume knob. you need to match it up with your Head Unit's RCA Out voltage or you will clip your sub to hell.
but we all know you are going to ignore any recommendations and do whatever you want.
I've set the subsonic to the formula, subsonic = 0.75*Fb.

lpf to 80hz, being that the frequency for localization ends around there.

Bassboost to +10db

Gain is where I am now having trouble at. I've turned it down to 3/4.

@everyone with the dmm suggestion

I have a dmm but after watching those videos, it seems way too complicated. I need to make a special tone CD, pull out cables, etc. Is there no predetermined setting I can just use for now? My preamp voltage from the HU as written on Crutchfield is 2V.

I've set the subsonic to the formula, subsonic = 0.75*Fb.lpf to 80hz, being that the frequency for localization ends around there.

Bassboost to +10db

I have a dmm but after watching those videos, it seems way too complicated. I need to make a special tone CD, pull out cables, etc. Is there no predetermined setting I can just use for now? My preamp voltage from the HU as written on Crutchfield is 2V.
Turn the boost to 0 now. You have 2v outs you are safe at half gain. Leave it there until you figure out how to do it right.

I've set the subsonic to the formula, subsonic = 0.75*Fb.lpf to 80hz, being that the frequency for localization ends around there.

Bassboost to +10db

Don't use bass boost and no, there is no pre determined spot for gain

@everyone with the dmm suggestionI have a dmm but after watching those videos, it seems way too complicated. I need to make a special tone CD, pull out cables, etc. Is there no predetermined setting I can just use for now? My preamp voltage from the HU as written on Crutchfield is 2V.
I downloaded a tone generator to my phone (android), connected phone to h/u via Bluetooth. Much easier than creating a test tube CD. I had to be sure to turn the phones eq setting to off or flat.

And no there is not a predetermined setting for gain. Gotta use dmm. It's no more difficult than creating a profile on a forum to create this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.