How much would this custom enclosure cost from a shop by you? (pics)

jibberjive
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
SLC, UT
So if you were to have a shop by you custom build this box for you, how much do you think they would charge? A few details about the box: it has a double layer baffel, .75'' MDF used, swappable port system (one for tuning to 50-ish hz and DD port at 32hz), 3.5-4ft^3, incredible attention to detail (ports have 45degree elbow to reduce turbulence, ALL edges rounded, quality bolt terminals, every possible seam caulked, dowel bracing as well as a brace to help hold the weight of the port, etc). Thanks!

dscn2204.jpg

dscn2200.jpg

dscn2203.jpg

dscn2228.jpg

Round here? Done correctly, around 350 to be honest.

Done to what they consider "proper"...250

The way it sits would run at least 350 and most of the dickshits around here couldnt build it

"interchangeable port, huh?"

$250 at most, but I'd get mad at the shop for not bracing it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

$250 at most, but I'd get mad at the shop for not bracing it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
In case anyone is wondering, I didn't have a shop build this, I built it myself. It was tough to get much bracing in there and still be able to swap the ports, though I did get a big dowel in there near the middle of the biggest pieces. Couldn't get another in either of the other two directions because of the port and the woofer hole, but the front is a double baffel. Didn't want to put any triangle in the coners right near the port opening because they would literally obstruct the airflow into the spl port (it is huge). Either way, it's actually really solid (this is by no means my first box).

///M5's definition of solid and most peoples are quite different.
I don't think I would pay more than 250 for it, nothing special about it really though but it is nicely built.
When I say "custom" I'm not trying to say it's anything incredibly uncommon or innovative, rather custom in the sense that it's made for a specific speaker and application. I don't think I'd pay more than $250 for it either (after building my own boxes it's tough for me to justify more than just materials now;)) The question isn't how much you'd pay for it though, rather how much a shop by you would charge:)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.