How much power can a JBL sub really take?

greenchaos
10+ year member

Texas
i was trying to get a full JBL setup in my car and i ran across a problem. im using the JBL 600.1 and i was thinking of getting a pair of the SVC 4ohm GT120 subs.

Since ill be running my amp at 2ohms the subs should recive about 300watts rms a piece give or take a few

now there website says that they can Only handle 250watts RMS and 1000watts MAX but someone once told me that you can usually take half of the max and get the rms rating which would make it 500rms thats if they underrate their speakers im guessing.

anyone know for sure? thanks for any help

p.s i tried to search for info on JBL subs first but you cant put "JBL" in the search engine becuase its too short //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif :mad:

i dont think it could hurt the sub considering most all jbl anything is underated never used a jbl sub before so coulndt help you out there....

Originally posted by greenchaos hmm what should i do? would i be better off just getting some subs that can handle 300-400rms? or can i make these work?
just turn your gain down on your amp so that they aren't getting that much power. To set the gain you turn your HU up to about 3/4 and then turn your gain up as far up as you can until you hear distortion, then back the gain off a bit. That should put it in a pretty good area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.