how much fiberglass till it's ready?

haha are you serious man?! **** im scared now. i dont want to ruin my FIRST WORK of art =( ...does it matter if the inside looks UGLY as ****?! haha..cause the outisde mold is nice but i swear the inside is not so smooth

yeah you're fine. the inside can be as ugly as it needs to be, BUT. if you're laying more fiberglass on the ugly you can't have air pockets so you may wanna sand some of it out before adding more layers

basically yeah.. i mean think about it... your friend who is about the same size as you takes a giant step into your car and puts about 80% of his body weight on your kickpanel accidentally... it shouldn't budge...

also it won't flex if its done well enough

if you want to, you can skip the fiberglass weave and just do a couple more layers of just resin... sometimes taht does well

really **** ok..well tomorrow imma sand it down..get it nice and even. then ill add more layers on..and then ill try the standing on the box thing...which is going to freak me out. oh well..thx guys

When you stand on it, if its flexing relaly badly, get off. Add some more before you crack it. You will know when its strong enough to hold you.

sorry let me rephrase what i first said. i just finished the mold of the trunk. which means i have have done the wood or anything like that. but the question that i wanted to ask was..when is my mold ready to put in the wood? still the whole stand technique?

think about it this way... if it bends when you stand on it, it darn sure will bend when you have a subwoofer pounding away at it..

have you ever heard of the "elephant" test?

for MDF boxes it is suggested that you do your box in such a way that an elephant could stand on it.

for fiberglass i'm sure it's different, but if you are doing a subwoofer enclosure i believe that you should be able to place a 300 pound man on your enclosure without problems. so long as it's finished.

anyway- if you can still access the fiberglass mold that you have now after you do the wood (like through subwoofer holes) then go ahead and MDF it up now. otherwise try a couple more layers

You guys just laying straight mat / cloth with no bracing ? You will save yourselves alot of time, money, and effort with some well placed bracing. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Yep all the above. Just resin the bracing in between a couple layers of the mat, and or cloth. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.