How many fuses?

hamtown214

Hi guys, I'm not new to audio installation but I'm ready to try my first multi-amp installation. I know I need a fuse between the battery and distribution block, and within 12" of the battery. But do I also need to fuse each wire coming out of the distribution block? I'll have 0ga going to the dist. block and then two runs of 8ga and one 4ga to the three amps. Wire gauge is appropriate for the amps I'm using. Thanks.

Any time the wire changes size you should fuse for the smaller wire. In this case the 8 awg is absolutely critical. If you didn't fuse the 8 and the 8 got shorted you'd have only the ~250A 1/0 fuse as protection. The 8 would have plenty of time to heat up and start a fire before the 250A fuse opened.

The 4 awg wouldn't be quite as severe, but it should be fused as well.

Any time the wire changes size you should fuse for the smaller wire. In this case the 8 awg is absolutely critical. If you didn't fuse the 8 and the 8 got shorted you'd have only the ~250A 1/0 fuse as protection. The 8 would have plenty of time to heat up and start a fire before the 250A fuse opened.The 4 awg wouldn't be quite as severe, but it should be fused as well.
^^^ I agree 100%, but I generally only fuse splits off the distro block if the new run is 12" or longer. Short runs of small gauge can take a lot of current.

^^^ I agree 100%, but I generally only fuse splits off the distro block if the new run is 12" or longer. Short runs of small gauge can take a lot of current.
Vdrop would be lower, but it would still burn.

The difference is just that a very short length of wire would be less likely to get cut/shorted.

Vdrop would be lower, but it would still burn.The difference is just that a very short length of wire would be less likely to get cut/shorted.
Agreed. But a foot or less of 8 awg will easily hold up long enough to blow the 250A 1/0 fuse in your prior example. That's all I was saying.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.