How many amps do I need from a HO alternator?

Participant count
  • Participant list

infowarrior45
10+ year member

So I am in the market for a HO for my '98 Jeep Cherokee. I have done the big 3 in 0 gauge, and I'm still getting getting voltage drops down to around 12 volts when it hits low notes. My battery is a little old, and I'm planning on replacing it with an Optima Yellowtop which I'm guessing will help a lot too.

As far as the HO alternator goes, I was wondering if you guys could tell me how many amps I need out of it to power the following system?

Kicker ZX1500.1 (0 Gauge Knu wires)

Zapco Reference 650.6 (4 Gauge Knu wires)

Big 3 in 0 Gauge.

I really don't have a ton of money to throw at an alternator right now....I don't even know how much longer I'm gonna have this Jeep. Any alternator suggestions would be appreciated....I'd be comfortable spending around $250. My max budget would be $350 if there is no other option. I don't really wanna blow $400 on an Ohio Generator if I'm not gonna have this car for a long time.

looks like your pulling roughly 200 amps of power. from what ive been about to find on google your alt is about 120ish to about only 90 amps. with a good front and rear batt you should be able to run this sytstem OK with the 120. but if your going HO i would say shoot for right around 200 250ish.

Thanks guys. Well, I think I'm gonna play it safe and get a HO alternator. I was testing voltages today, and it even went down to 11 volts when it got to really low stuff. What's the word on PowerBastards alternators? Price isn't way too bad...$350 for me.

Otherwise I was looking at rebuilt alternators that KnuKonceptz sells...not sure if these things are any good?

I would check out DCpower... You want to make sure the company who makes it is legit, HO alts can be risky at best with low idle amps and dependability

Well, the fuse alone for the kicker being 150 amps along with speaker amp.. I would go at a minimum of 200 amps. Not that your amp will actually pull 150 amps (blowing the fuse) but you still need to account for getting close to that then having enough to power the cars electronics safely.

dual batteries will help alot and should be fine, although you will probly still get drops on low hits

I use a stock alt from 1999 and a new $250 battery and I cruise at 14.4 and the lowest it will drop when hot/full tilt is maybe 13.3

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.