How do you find the max ur subs will take w/o blowing???? Alpine X-W10D4 ... How much will they handle?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wesseat

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have a pair of alpine X-W10D4's in a sealed box built to factory specs.. Right now im feeding them the recomended 900 rms/per sub.. Does anyone have any experience feeding them more than the recommended 900 rms a piece? Alpine rated the peek handling at 2700 a piece... I was thinking of half that rms.. 1350 a piece.

Are there any warning signs a sub will give u that ur feeding it too much? Or does it just blow? I have enough amp to do 1800 rms per sub.

I have a pair of alpine X-W10D4's in a sealed box built to factory specs.. Right now im feeding them the recomended 900 rms/per sub.. Does anyone have any experience feeding them more than the recommended 900 rms a piece? Alpine rated the peek handling at 2700 a piece... I was thinking of half that rms.. 1350 a piece.

Are there any warning signs a sub will give u that ur feeding it too much? Or does it just blow? I have enough amp to do 1800 rms per sub.
It's easier to tell when you're overloading it in a ported box as it'll audibly sound like garbage and a you'll smell the voice coil burning. Play a 3 minute song at good volume, do the middle of the subwoofers get warm? If your signal is clean just keep an eye on the temperature of the subs as you increase power. play them for a few minutes at one setting before you go higher.
you should be using an oscilloscope to set your gains so you're not distorting, but. . Subs will get warm when they're working hard, and hot when they're being overloaded or being fed a clipped signal.

Alpine has been weird with their ratings. They put the last gen of type R's out and listed at 1000 rms. They came back years later and recommended only 750 watts. Don't mind the peak rating. A general consensus is if you are unsure about running above RMS, you shouldn't do it.
That being said. Feeding a 900 watt sub exactly 900 watts @ 1 ohm for example, will only get 900 if it's actually a 1 ohm load.
When your subs play music, the ohms rise, and you'll get anywhere from 50-80% of what you're expecting, depending on box and frequency. So, you probably have so wiggle room before you actually reach the limits of the woofer. Just be careful and attentive to what your subs are telling you.

There are way to many variables to answer this question. Not trying to be rude but it's kind of one of those things where if you have to ask then you should stick to the recommendations. The best thing you could do is build a ported box.

There are way to many variables to answer this question. Not trying to be rude but it's kind of one of those things where if you have to ask then you should stick to the recommendations. The best thing you could do is build a ported box.
I was thinking maybe someone on here had some real experience with the X-W10D4. There is a youtube video of a guy running 2 x-w12d4 to 1200Rms in a spec sealed enclosure..the 12 and 10 are both rated at 900rms.

I was thinking maybe someone on here had some real experience with the X-W10D4. There is a youtube video of a guy running 2 x-w12d4 to 1200Rms in a spec sealed enclosure..the 12 and 10 are both rated at 900rms.

1200 watts at 1 ohm would land pretty dam close to 900 watts after box rise. So that's about right.
@Slo_Ride isn't wrong for once.
Going above rated rms is all up to the experience of the user. We can only do so much at the other end of a keyboard.
Another guy could jump on here and say "hell yeah i ran 2000 on each of those subs with no problem" but you don't know the size or construction of his box, the actual rms he was seeing out of his amp in real time or for how long or if 2000 was just the sticker on the amp and his numbers are way off etc. Etc.

1200 watts at 1 ohm would land pretty dam close to 900 watts after box rise. So that's about right.
Going above rated rms is all up to the experience of the user. We can only do so much at the other end of a keyboard.
Another guy could jump on here and say "hell yeah i ran 2000 on each of those subs with no problem" but you don't know the size or construction of his box, the actual rms he was seeing out of his amp in real time or for how long or if 2000 was just the sticker on the amp and his numbers are way off etc. Etc.
Lmao. I've been here over 16 years and can count the number of times I've been wrong on one hand

lol yes, Low rider was. Uh, pretty much a complete you know what more than one time.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...