Anybody wanna help me find t/s? Klipsch XW-300d

Participant count
  • Participant list

Buck
5,000+ posts

little alien on campus
This is the sub and system combo: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lwZUFlIRTAm/p_714XW300D/Klipsch-XW-300d.html#Features

I'm thinking about doing something better than this ass sealed. The good news is this amp doesn't seem to have a subsonic filter, so no limitations on that end. That might be a hint; it is for HT, but it's more music than anything else. Kinda surprised at the niceness of this sub. It reads about 4 ohms; single coil. So, right now I'm flying blind with no t/s, mostly. I think this sub might have a decently low Fs, because it's in a sealed box, and the peak Fc seems to be around or a little below 40 hz, at least in it's current environment, which is surprising to me. This sub is like 15 years old, so no telling how soft it is now. I have 42" towers that play fairly strongly down to 40-45 hz, and that might be another hint. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can find me t/s on this; I assume it's a Klipsch woofer; I don't have any way to pull t/s myself.

1695757853479.jpeg

1695757742858.jpeg

1695757754212.jpeg

This is the sub and system combo: https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lwZUFlIRTAm/p_714XW300D/Klipsch-XW-300d.html#Features

I'm thinking about doing something better than this ass sealed. The good news is this amp doesn't seem to have a subsonic filter, so no limitations on that end. That might be a hint; it is for HT, but it's more music than anything else. Kinda surprised at the niceness of this sub. It reads about 4 ohms; single coil. So, right now I'm flying blind with no t/s, mostly. I think this sub might have a decently low Fs, because it's in a sealed box, and the peak Fc seems to be around or a little below 40 hz, at least in it's current environment, which is surprising to me. This sub is like 15 years old, so no telling how soft it is now. I have 42" towers that play fairly strongly down to 40-45 hz, and that might be another hint. I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can find me t/s on this; I assume it's a Klipsch woofer; I don't have any way to pull t/s myself.

View attachment 52959

View attachment 52957
I always found these to be ahead of theyre time

What bandwidth are those? I see some wave aiming.
Not sure that I remember. I remember that staying with my uncle growing up during some summers,that they sure sounded dammned good. I cant remember if Klipsch or Pennicle mad e a similar Home speaker sometime in the late 90s /early 2000s. It was the same concept with the lower portion being a downfire sub and the top with the cone portion facing upwards and looked like Aluminum Crystal. They were very expensive and prob one of the best sounding speaker that I can remember hearing to this day. They were Bad Azz! Like $4k for a pair back then.

Playing with a tone generator, this sub peaks decently hard at about 45-46 hz in it's sealed in it's current position, the sealed seems to be about .49 cubes or so. It falls off fairly hard after about 40 hz, but it's trying to play all the way down to 20 hz or so. The sub cone is actually moving a decent bit down that low, but I think that's just the sealed limiting xmax and playing too low out of sealed peak resonance. I mean I can hear it playing 25 hz, but it's fighting with that sealed air to extend that far, so it's not very loud, but it's definitely trying; that amp sure gets hot quick playing lower than like 33-35 hz how it is now. I'm trying to figure out what chamber sizes this thing likes, and I still don't have t/s. I can't find jack **** on this sub.

Last edited:
Just drew this up seeing what I could fit. Just a t-line @ 30 hz. Coffeemaker? Idk. I kinda wanna bandpass it, because t-lines and horns are so difficult to layout. But I wanna do a t-line just because, and I really don't want to put the sub in the box and ported is too boring for me.

my horn stuff dims.png

my horn stuff internals.png

my horn stuff xray.png

I am not back designing for anyone or anything other than this. Not sure exactly what I want to do, as I do not have t/s parameters. I'm kind of hoping for the best with listening to it's response in sealed, understanding the sealed size from factory, trying to make deductions from that, which is minimal. I could tune lower, but the size of this one works for me well, and 30 hz isn't necessarily high tuning, as this will really be for music more than anything. Idk, I'm still brain storming. Let me know if you have any better ideas or just what you think, considering my circumstances.

I was going to mention a T-Line type enclosure @ a Down fire configuration on the sub approx 3" off the surface (of a Hard floorn surface/not carpet) and loaded off the walls sitting the corner. utilizing the two walls in the corner and downfired to play off the Surface of a hard floor. yet.. you can always make a removable bottom plate that can be put on to fire off of if there is a carpet floor. either way . Id prob have to try and draw it up

For a sub that small.. Id like to see an 8 or 6.5 @ around 55-70 htz usually sound pretty nice and clean on approx 40-100 rms @ 4 ohms. 8 ohms I like to hear around 80htz on up on HTheater

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...