How do you crimp a 4 gauge terminal?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Johnniz

Oslo
Hi guys.

I am going to use a 4 gauge powerwire for my system and was wondering how to properly attatch the terminals without emptying my wallet. I live in norway and I can not find any store (online or in shops) an impact (hammer) crimper. A large crimper for 4 gauge+ costs around 100 usd in the cheapest store (similar to wallmart) I do own a soldering iron and i also hae som 60/40 (40/60 can not remember) solder which I use so solder guitar stuff.

However i have read that the bare copper wire has more confuctivity than soldered wire.

Plz help:p

thx

Depending on the lug you are using, you can use a basic crimoer for some just need a bit of force tk make it work. You can also use a torch and solder a lug on.

Is it a solid crimp or split crimp?

If it is a solid just take a hammer and a wide flat head screwdriver and hammer it down until it is solid.

If it is a split use a pair of pliers to "fold" the crimp and then use a flathead + hammer.

Do it all the time never had a single issue.

Thanks for all the input. I am fairly sure that it is a split crimp, but if you think that a little muscle is what it is going to take, I`ll try that first.

cheers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.