How do I hook up speakers/tweeters without a crossover?

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I'm running a pair of the Focal IS 165 comps. These have integrated crossovers somehow, so there is no crossover box needed. I am running them off the Alpine KTP-445, so there was no need for me to figure out how to wire them to a "real amp" before. Now I have a 4 channel on the way, and need to figure out how this is going to work.

Here is what I have to connect: amp, woofers, tweeters.

There is no crossover involved, so I'm not really sure how I get it down to two wires (+/-) from four (woofer +/- and tweeter +/-).

Any information on how to do this would be great!

Just hook them up the same way they're running right now on the Alpine amp.
But that's the thing. I don't know what's going on with the Alpine amp because it just uses a wiring harness. Do you think I can just wire the positives of the woofers and tweeters together and the negatives of them together? Just by splicing?

No, I'm really not. I've never wired a "real" 4 channel amp before and there is no manual for the Focals, and I can't find any information online any where about how people have hooked them up to an amp before.

[quote name='>>SQL

There are no magical built in crossovers[/quote']

this... you need the crossovers. do a google image search and you will see what they look like. it has a input + &- (from amp) and a woofer output and a tweeter output. there is one of these for the left and one for the right speakers.

you are missing these

ps165.jpg

Well, if no crossover is needed, run the Front RCA from your HU to the amp. At the amp end put a 'Y' splitter on each RCA. Plug the left channel RCAs into channel 1 & 3 on the amp, and the right RCA channel into channel 2 & 4. From the output side of the amp, run channel 1 to the left tweeter, run channel 2 to the right tweeter, channel 3 to the left mid, and channel 4 to the right mid. That keeps your tweeters on one gain and your mids on another, so you can dial them in independently. Although, it might be helpful to know which 4 channel amp is on the way (the Polk in your sig?).

Someone please correct me if I'm off base here.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Well, if no crossover is needed, run the Front RCA from your HU to the amp. At the amp end put a 'Y' splitter on each RCA. Plug the left channel RCAs into channel 1 & 3 on the amp, and the right RCA channel into channel 2 & 4. From the output side of the amp, run channel 1 to the left tweeter, run channel 2 to the right tweeter, channel 3 to the left mid, and channel 4 to the right mid. That keeps your tweeters on one gain and your mids on another, so you can dial them in independently. Although, it might be helpful to know which 4 channel amp is on the way (the Polk in your sig?).
Someone please correct me if I'm off base here.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif
Yes. It's the one in my sig. That might work. But I'm gonna try to see if I can contact Focal about it and see what they'd recommend.

[quote=>>SQL

*SNIP*

I know what crossovers are... I'm just not sure how to hook up my speakers to a 4 channel because they somehow don't use one. That is a selling point of the "Integration" line of speakers from Focal.

ok buddy - you are right.

Your speakers have built in 6db crossovers on them.

What is it you want to do? Me personally I would run the tweeters from 2 channels of the 4 channel amp and the mid woofers on the other 2 channels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.