How do I determine which wire does what for my front speaker? (have a multimeter)

Participant count
  • Participant list

kazpoopoo

My front stock speakers have 4 wires connected to the back. I assume the crossover is located in the speaker, and that 2 of those wires are outputs to the stock tweeter. My question is, how to I find out which ones lead to the tweeter? I need to use the factory wiring as my car is stupid and the door rubber thing doesn't have any room to feed a wire through it. I've already taken out my stock head unit so I can't test it that simply.

2 wires are grey, 2 are brown.

using multi meter range rx1 from out of cross over...test it you hear it and you can now find which speaker wire...ther are standard color coding like...violet RR,green RL,white FL,GRAY FL..

Use the ohmmeter to measure across the wire pairs. If the wiring is typical there will be a capacitor crossover in series with the tweeters and the DMM will read open circuit (infinite) but the woofers will measure 2-4 ohms.

Or...

Get a helper. Then take a C or D cell battery and touch it to the wires while your helper listens to the speakers. There will be a 'click' noise from each speaker when you touch the battery.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.