how can i tell when my sub distorts?

Participant count
  • Participant list

g0t-milk
10+ year member

I AM Teh Burgar KING!
does it crackle like highs do when theyre distorted? i dont understand. or does the bass sound flat, or what? im trying to set my gains by ear and im listening for distortion but no matter how far up or down i go, it doesnt sound distorted.. although the amp kicks over to protect mode until i lower the gain, but that only happens with the trunk open (amp is near the trunk lock, i have to set gains with it open.. makes it kind of difficult having to go back and fourth into the car) when the trunk is closed, the bass stays on no matter where the gains are.. but once i open it to adjust them, it goes into protect mode... its very weird. but anyway.. sub distortion.. whats it sound like? how do i know? -- just trying to learn, any **** talking is a waste of your time and mine. everyone has to start somewhere

only thing i can think of to refer clean and unclean bass is 2,000+ dollar system and a 200 dollar system. the expensive one sounds real clean, very tight. the cheap one is real boomy, drawn out fart bass (still hits hard, but its very... eh... dunno how to explain it) but on the expensive side, the boomy bass sounds very tight. like u can feel it in your chest. i want the bass to sound real tight, not boomy and drawn out.. make sense?

uhhh it should be fine since u got a sealed box, but maybe just not enough power

i didn't have "chest pounding" bass till i had over 1000 watts, unless u have a beaner car

i have enough watts with my kicker amp. just got it, last amp i had was a profile 400msx that was nothing compared to this.. its just a ***** to set gains by ear sometimes.. considering i need a proper power and ground wire upgrade also. i dont know maybe i just expect to much... my friend has an OLLLLD L1 SoloBaric (i swear it said L1, maybe it said L5) but its old as dirt. its a 10" and he only have one voice coil on it, the other blew. so his 10" solobaric, on one voice coil, powered by a 2channel amp bridged for 8ohms (im on 2ohms with both coils) hits alot harder and cleaner. is it because its a solobaric, or cuz i havent properly tuned mine yet?

find a different ground...if it goes into protect when you open the trunk thats bad...cant you drill a hole into the bottom of the trunk and ground it there?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.