how are you guys mounting your subs ??

big scott

blazin low, and loud
edgewood, md
hi guys,

i really dont want to use wood screws, i have seen these bolts with screw in inserts that screw into the box. that would make it easier on the box.

is this how your mounting your subs to your box ?

does anybody know what im talking about ? if so wear can i buy them ?

thanks.

I just use drywall screws also, if going through MDF. If you are inverting the subs or mounting very heavy subs, I would use T-nuts and bolts.

what size t-nuts and bolts should i use ? im using a sq hdc3 15" sub. its heavy i think its 55lb ?

and i just don't like the idea of using screws to hold this sub on the box. and the sub will be facing back so it will be standing up and thats a lot of weight to just using screws.

also i see there are 3 prong,,4 prong should i get the 3 prong t-nuts?

thanks guys.

You can use 8-32 t-nuts and screws but some people use up to ¼-20s. The former are plenty strong enough for a 55lb sub though and, their smaller diameter leaves more material on the inside of the mounting hole than the larger.

As for 3 or 4 prong t-nuts, it doesn't really matter because t-nuts don't penetrate MDF very well at all. I use socket head screws and a washer to install them and even if you tighten them slowly, the barbs bend rather than penetrate the MDF about half the time. The best way to use them is to put them between a two layered baffle but you can also glue them in place with hot glue. You can also use nutserts. They stay in place better than t-nuts but you run the same risk with them that you do with ¼-20 t-nuts.

They also make the tnuts with 3 or 4 predrilled holes and you use a small diameter screw to hold them in place. You would probably be better off installing these before you fix the baffle to the box.

Spax screws work really well for mdf , i havd the hdc4 and the has to be mounted to the floor because it literally jumps up and down from the force

I like to buy my hardware locally, from a hardware store or home improvement store... Measure the diameter of the hole before you leave and measure the head of the screw at the store to make sure you get the right ones. Shouldn't be more than a few bucks for everything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.