Hopefully an easy question!

Participant count
  • Participant list

rjay
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So I am going to be installing a Soundstream Rub5.800 amp. I will have a set of components in the front doors that will be a 4ohm load and one sub that is wired to a 2ohm load. Is that okay, or do they all have to be the same ohm rating? I figured it would be okay, but wanted to make sure that way I know I will be getting the 340watts to the sub and only 70watts to the components.

Yes, that will be fine as long as the amp is stable to those ohm loads on the respective channels (which it is I think, I just checked)

If the amp is stable to 2 ohms on all channels then you can wire some components to 4 ohms, some to 2 ohms, all to 4 ohms, or all to 2 ohms. Just nothing below 2 ohms.

If you wanted to, you could bridge the front four channels and pump more to your front comps if they can take it.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. Now a different question that comes to mind about the components. I got the Boston Acoustics SC60. So the speaker wire goes from the amp front channel to the crossover and then from the crossover, you got one set to the 6 1/2 speaker and then another set to the tweeter. How does that affect the final ohm rating. I believe both speaker and tweeter are 4 ohms each. This amp puts out 70watts to each channel (minus sub channel of course), so will it basically split the power between the two where only each speaker and tweeter get 35watts?

Well did some research on Crutchfield, and it does talk about certain crossovers have extra input terminals to allow bi amping. That would make it where the tweeter and woofer gets 70 watts each, otherwise it would basically split the power between the two. Atleast that's my understanding!

Im just not sure if it always splits it up 50/50 - If yours have biamping terminals and your tweeters can handle 70W... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

Yeah thats the thing, I'm still waiting for them to come in so I'm not sure. I've looked at the description and it doesn't specify. It does say the rms power range is 2-65watts. So I would think that's 65watts for each speaker. I guess if it doesn't have multiple speaker inputs on the crossover, the set would still sound okay with each speaker getting around 35 watts. You think, or is that too low of power?

I've always understood it to be 65W going to the crossover - although you could be right. I just think they'd specify for each if it were for each - I doubt every component set on the market that lists the RMS as a single number happens to have tweeters and midbass of identical power handling.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.