Hooking up rear camera

Participant count
  • Participant list

musclesoh92467

i have the pioneer avhx1500 which is currenttly installed.i bought a rear camera and want to hook it up.my questions are 1 ..im thinking of putting camera in key hole in trunk but the lense is slightly bigger then the hole..im not sure what the LED,s that surround the camera lense does it matter if there exposed or as long as the center of lense is thru my key hole?also on the photo below hooking the hot wire is there a wire on the radio harness for that? i cant remember and just like to know before i pull stereo to connect my camera plug..thanks

so bascially the rca cord that goes from camera to HU does the functunality n the red wire connects to rear lights .it should work when in reverse or while driving by pressing menu button on HU correct?

The RCA cable is just for sending the video. The switching depends on your power source. Normally a backup camera has the power tapped into the reverse lights, which means it shuts off when the car is not in reverse.

Why not use a uni bit to expand the whole if the camera is just slightly larger than the hole. If its drastically larger, depending on the vehicle you could use the emblem like on a Chevy ford BMW

the leds are ir leds for night time. basically the same thing nat geo uses to film lions in africa. You will get better visual at night by not covering them up but it wouldnt be the end of the world. I have been wiring my bu cams to an acc source and running a dedicated reverse wire to the head unit (typically tapped at the tail light). the pioneer heads have the option to use the rear view without being in reverse, so basically a full time driving cam. but that only works if the cam has power without being in reverse.

my manual for HU says there is a purple/white wire in the harness that attaches to reverse lights.. but i called best buy and they told me to hook red wire from camera to rear lights that its illegal to connect to view while driving...im getting conflickting info..i currently have HU installed so im trying to make a plan of how to before pulling it out. i have the avhx1500...

if you want both hook up the cam to an acc source and run aother wire from the tail lights to the purple/white wire at the back of the deck

ok thanks.im popping out trunk lock and installing camera there since i have remote n indoor button work fine.the camera fits nice in there but if i use the gasket the led around camera are blocked will this effect the camera operation?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.