Can you boot up a Double Din by only hooking up ground and power?

_Connor

I'm going to look at a Pioneer P1400 tomorrow. The guy says it's never used and he only wants half of what it's selling for retail. I'm not going to give this dude my money without seeing the deck in action first. I'm wondering if I pick up a second harness for $10 for my truck, but only hook up the ground and the power to the P1400's harness, will I be able to power up the unit? I don't much feel like wiring the entire harness in a 7-11 parking lot, because it would be a waste of his and my time.

Thanks!

Connor

You could simply tie the yellow and red wires together, clip them to your positive battery terminal with some jumper wires, and clip the black wire to the negative battery terminal. This is all a radio needs to power on. It should be pretty obvious if the radio is new as the faceplate and trim ring should be pristine, as well as the DIN cage.

I going to assume by black wire you mean the ground. The harness for the P1400 is all green, no color coding but the wires are labeled. Red would be + power but what would yellow be?

yellow is power, red is ACC (stands for "accessories", turn-on). black is ground. in all car radios

Yellow is your hot from your battery, the positive.

Red is also 12v, but it is like a remote turn on wire for your amp. This allows your radio to turn off with your car so it doesn't drain battery. In some Gm vehicles with only 6V ACC to radio, you have to catch a 12V turnon from the fuse-box

So to get this 100% straight so I don't damage this guys unit. Take the P1400 harness, find Power and ACC, tie them together. Clip one end of a jumper cable to that, and the other end to the + on my truck battery. Find the ground wire on the P1400 Harness, touch that to the - on my truck battery. Plug the harness in to the P1400 and I should be able to power up? No risk of damaging this guys deck?

I have a 2005 F150 if that makes a difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.