Home Audio Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
*I know that this is not car audio but its close enough*

I need help.

Hey, my name is Chris and I am looking to set-up car subwoofers in my home. Currently, I have left, right and center Polk Audio speakers which is all I need, and I am also running a Klipsch RPW10 along with it all connected into my Onkyo Reciver. The thing is, this sub is not too powerful and I think my home can handle some nice car woofers (possibly in addition to the sub). The thing is, I have no idea in how I'd go about achieving this, so that is why I am here. I don't know at all what I would have to do to make this work but I have all that is stated above, more receivers(all of which have an 8 ohm impedance, including the one above) and about $400-$600 to spend on what I would need. Any sort of information including links to other threads or tutorials/subwoofer recommendations/box recommendations or anything that you see helpful would be appreciated. Thanks!

*I know that this is not car audio but its close enough*
I need help.

Hey, my name is Chris and I am looking to set-up car subwoofers in my home. Currently, I have left, right and center Polk Audio speakers which is all I need, and I am also running a Klipsch RPW10 along with it all connected into my Onkyo Reciver. The thing is, this sub is not too powerful and I think my home can handle some nice car woofers (possibly in addition to the sub). The thing is, I have no idea in how I'd go about achieving this, so that is why I am here. I don't know at all what I would have to do to make this work but I have all that is stated above, more receivers(all of which have an 8 ohm impedance, including the one above) and about $400-$600 to spend on what I would need. Any sort of information including links to other threads or tutorials/subwoofer recommendations/box recommendations or anything that you see helpful would be appreciated. Thanks!
you need enclosure design knowledge, a powerful plate amp and a good subwoofer driver. This will cost you above 450 dollars.

What i would recommend is to try difference subwoofer placements with your current sub and adjusting the sub level as well. The room acoustics has a major impact on how loud any sub gets.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390ho-4-15-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-469

http://www.parts-express.com/bash-500s-digital-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-500w-rms--300-752

Build the enclosure yourself, look into a 1/4 wave transmission line box or stantard low tuned ported.

If you have the space to do 2 15s then by all means

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16026_JBL-GT5-15.html

Thanks for the info Jeff. I've tried tuning the sub and its placement many times but all resulted in it playing 50-60hz and 100-120hz very powerfully but the rest was weak to the point that it was almost innaudible unless your head was right next to it. Anyway, I do have space to do the 15s but I also wanted to know if it would also be possible to use them along with the 10 because otherwise I'd just have it sitting around not doing anything. But thanks for the advice and I will work on finding out how to build an enclosure suited to the subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.