HO makes voltage 14.4?

C1500martin
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Cali
So today i realized my trucks battery charge at 13.5 the MOST, i always thought they charged at 14.4 but apparently not. Everyone with systems has a sitting charged voltage of 14.4. Is that because of the HO alt they have?

I think its just dependent on the regulator and or if its pcm controlled. My stock alt charged at 14.5-14.7, my HO charged at 13.8. Not a big deal i guess.
Well i want to maintain a voltage above 14 if my batteries charge at 13.5 and thats what they be at doesnt it mean buying this audio stuff is pointless becaue ill never see the power im paying for because my voltage is preventing me?

Well i want to maintain a voltage above 14 if my batteries charge at 13.5 and thats what they be at doesnt it mean buying this audio stuff is pointless becaue ill never see the power im paying for because my voltage is preventing me?
Maybe your alt is getting old.. Doesn't seem like a big deal.. I'm pretty sure once you get your new alt, you'll stay well above 14 at idle.. My old alt couldn't go above 13.5 either after being abused for so long. As long as you don't dip too low you're fine.. After you get the singer alt, you'll notice a BIG difference.. Especially since you're getting a 6 phase.. Don't worry about it so much..

Amps are rated at 13.8 most of the time so when your car is running your voltage should stay around 14v unless you have a lot of current draw...batteries are 12v most will charge to around 13v... this is all normal...we all deal with it... get an external regulator and set it to 15.5v. You should stay above 14v's if u have a good altanator.

Amps are rated at 13.8 most of the time so when your car is running your voltage should stay around 14v unless you have a lot of current draw...batteries are 12v most will charge to around 13v... this is all normal...we all deal with it... get an external regulator and set it to 15.5v. You should stay above 14v's if u have a good altanator.
Most amps are rated at 14.4

If he charges at 15.5 he will swell 12v batteries. The best can not go above 15.1.

most vehicles don't have a sitting voltage of 14.4, it's a range of 13.6-14.4. if you're sitting at 13.5, it's not a big deal but there is a chance that you have a battery with a bad cell. check your resting voltage with the car off, make sure the car has been off for a while. if you are below 12v than you have a problem, if not than you're fine.

Both my batteries sit at 12.8 after letting them sit over night. So they are good right? So back to my question will my 320A alt give me my 14.4 charging vtage? Because if not im just selling all my **** and getting a crappy kicker system.

Both my batteries sit at 12.8 after letting them sit over night. So they are good right? So back to my question will my 320A alt give me my 14.4 charging vtage? Because if not im just selling all my **** and getting a crappy kicker system.
The alt don't determine charging voltage the regulator does. Either get a adjustable one or a bypass.

My voltage meter reads about 13.5 without my system on, drop down to low 13s or high 12s at full tilt. Stock electrical. And my 2 hds210s still pound harder than my buddies 2 12" kickers. I don't know why your worried about it so much.

Its just this is my first expesnsive build and i want to get the most out of it and not damage it. Or else i find it pointless to do all this if im not doing it right.

Lower chagrin voltage = shorter battery life.

The higher the charge voltage allows for more thorough desurferation of the platesplates

Lower chagrin voltage = shorter battery life.
The higher the charge voltage allows for more thorough desurferation of the platesplates
That's a funny assumption since most car manufactures are only charging just high enough to keep the battery topped off these days.

Its just this is my first expesnsive build and i want to get the most out of it and not damage it. Or else i find it pointless to do all this if im not doing it right.
Staying at 14.4v should only matter if your amp's top rating is rated at 14v or more.

If its rated at 13.8v then you do not need to worry as you are getting this.

Also if you are using a silverado or gmc truck please MAKE SURE you removed that little wire coming from the alternator to that little red box.

I found out this was causing a extra loss in voltage during charge since both the system and battery wanted power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.