High Pass Crossover Clarity Effects

Participant count
  • Participant list

mrensayne

If my sub-woofer is handling frequencies up to 200hz, is it best for me to set the Mid-Range Crossover for my coaxial door speakers in my amp to around 150hz instead of the default 80hz?

I'm thinking I can get better clarity in the higher Mid-Range if the speakers didn't have to work on creating these lower frequencies that my bass is already "sort of" dealing with.

Or does the higher frequency clarity not get affected by this and it's all in my head?

(I have my double 12" Sub set to 200 hz with a -24db drop off in an attempt to fill in my bass-mids which my coaxial kicker speakers really fail to do even when set to 80hz)

Where is your sub at? Most subs out of a trunk won't play up to 200hz, that's pretty high. Generally you really never need to cross a sub above 120hz as many subs won't even go that high and any higher really isn't making it much easier on your mids. I'd cross over at between 100-120 if 80 was too low for you. Set the sub to the same value as the mids, in most cases.

I have it "temporarily" in the back seat of my 2001 mustang so I'm able to hear the higher frequencies fairly well. When I use to have my single 12" in the trunk, I wouldn't be able to hear anything over 120 clearly at all so setting it that high was considered pointless.

The Sub says it has a freq response of up to 200 hz so I went there even though I rarely find anyone willing to put it that high.

You didn't give me any answer on whether or not the clarity of my mids would be effected by them playing 80hz vs 150hz.

I also can't afford a 3-way speaker system so I'm trying to make it work with a 2-way + sub. I hate when it feels like your missing an entire freq band; thus me having to push my sub up to 200 hz to fill in that gap.

Thanks for the response //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Raising the HPF on your mids may increase the clarity if they can't play 80 Hz and higher notes clearly at the same time. Since this varies so much we can't tell you if it sounds better with a higher HPF frequency. Set your subwoofer LPF with the enclosure located where it will be permanently.

You could be hearing the effects of poor cabin acoustics, a poorly performing speaker up front, or other issues such as an equalizer that should be adjusted to compensate.

These speakers claim that they can play from 40-21k hz but I've had issues when I set the crossover in the amplifier that low.

I guess if it's not a rule of thumb that "the less frequencies a speaker plays the better quality", I'll just set it at 120hz high pass because its middle ground between 80 and 150.

Thanks for the help guys //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.