Hi guys. n00b here with a question.

Participant count
  • Participant list

dropmech

I happen to acquire a brand new Kicker C8 from a friend who never took it out of the box. I took it from him because it looks like it's a good free space sub for my 2006 Tahoe. I was going to fit it where the OEM sub would go if mine came with it. My question is about the amp. I'm just not sure what to go with. I have the stock HU up front and some kicker DS65 in the doors running off of the HU with no amp. The specs on the sub are: 30-500 Hz freq. response, 30-100 watt RMS, peak power is 200 watts, 4 ohm impedance and I'm pretty sure single voice coil. Can you guys help me out? Don't really have a budget in mind, just want to get the right equipment for what I have. On a side note, am I okay with no amp for the doors or should I look for an amp with those as well? The sound seems to be really good with it as-is.

If you're happy with the sound of the fronts there's no problem running them w/o an amp.

with a low power 4 ohm sub you can either go with a small 2 channel amp (bridged) that's 100-125w rms at 4 ohms or a small mono that's around 100 at 4 (prob won't find many mono's that small).

Here are some decent or better options:

I wouldn't typically recommend Jensen, but in this application I think this amp would be more than adequate: Jensen Power 400.2 2-Channel Class AB Car Amplifier

A little heavy on power, but nothing a low gain setting won't fix -- solid amp: Clarion XR2220 280W Max 2-Channel XR Series Car Amplifier

Another with ample power -- they just don't make many small amps anymore: Precision Power PPI S200.2 (S2002) 2-Channel Car Amplifier/Amp

Rockford Fosgate R150X.2 (R150X2) 150W Two Chan Class AB Prime Amp

Do your speaker grilles say Bose on them? You should have the Bose system since you have a factory subwoofer. I can believe you would be satisfied with the sound as it is now, but it will only get better as you replace parts. Even a new good quality head unit can make an instant improvement for the factory speakers and amplifier. I would do the speakers and amplifier at the same time though, not one or the other.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the fast response. Trumpet, I have the base, non-bose system. I mentioned the stock placement because the space is there for the sub. I just don't have one there, is all.

I see now it does say "if mine came with it". A 5-channel amp would be a good way to get 4 speakers and the sub powered.
What would you suggest? I'm running the DS series components in the front and the 2-ways in the back doors. I think they are rated at around 50-100 watts.

What would you suggest? I'm running the DS series components in the front and the 2-ways in the back doors. I think they are rated at around 50-100 watts.
Precision Power P900.5 or BK580.5. A step up from these is the JBL GTO-5EZ. This one is the easiest to set up with the included test CD, and it has plenty of power if you ever change to a more robust subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.