Hey! Need a little help please with speaker/amp setup! Thanks!

Participant count
  • Participant list

zeromusxxxx

So, before I installed my amp I was able to turn my volume up to 50 and listen to some decently loud music. I installed my amp/subs last night and now if my volume even goes to 45 it starts distorting/garbling. I bought a Sony headunit and 4x 6.5" speakers (540w). Speakers are hooked up to the headunit, not through the amp. So I am not sure what the problem could be. If anyone has an idea please feel free to chime in. I've got my amp set for lowpass and I haven't had a chance to tweak the frequency yet to balance it out. But I don't see how that can be a factor if the speakers aren't connected to the amp.

the oem headunit you had and speakers were paired good probably.

now you have a diff head unit. and probably higher wattage speakers. hooked up to the headunit.

for one . your new head unit might not be as clean as your oem one. you may be trying to max out the head unit with those speakers. your probably at most gettin 15-20 watts to each speaker from the head unit. when they are rated for probably 90-100+ each? your trying to crank out as much power to those speakers from new headunit thats not properly powering them, which in case results in distortion and un clean power. IF you added a small amp just for the speakers and ran them that way to that amp. i would be willing to bet that your probably going to have better sound with less distortion coming from them..

the oem headunit you had and speakers were paired good probably. now you have a diff head unit. and probably higher wattage speakers. hooked up to the headunit.

for one . your new head unit might not be as clean as your oem one. you may be trying to max out the head unit with those speakers. your probably at most gettin 15-20 watts to each speaker from the head unit. when they are rated for probably 90-100+ each? your trying to crank out as much power to those speakers from new headunit thats not properly powering them, which in case results in distortion and un clean power. IF you added a small amp just for the speakers and ran them that way to that amp. i would be willing to bet that your probably going to have better sound with less distortion coming from them..
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-u7SKvHUiMGg/p_158GTX1641/Sony-Xplod-XS-GTX1641.html

Those are the speakers I bought. For the record, it's the same headunit. I should have added that I bought and installed the headunit before hooking up the speakers for clarification lol. I have never bought an amp for regular speakers before. What would be a nice cheap amp I could get for these? There are 4.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.